X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement finishing

I've pretty much determined that finishing my entire basement all at once isn't going to be an option. Getting a contractor to do it would be way too expensive, and even if I did DIY for the simpler, labor intensive parts, cost of materials would still be too high right now. I would, however, like to improve the insulation on the one exterior framed wall in the basement, and put some drywall up. I'm reusing a photo from my speaker wire installation post, but it shows a little bit of the insulation on the exterior wall, and what the stud placement is like. The subfloor for the main level is up top, the silver insulation is the exterior wall.

My question is: Is the insulation fine as is? All that's under the insulation is just the wood siding of the house as far as I can tell. Can I hang sheetrock directly on to this wall?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wathman; 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM.

Re: Basement finishing

Is this a walk out basement? All of that basement wall is above ground?

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      Is this a walk out basement? All of that basement wall is above ground?
      Yes, walk out basement. The house is built into a slope, the opposite wall is all concrete, and the side concrete walls are tiered down till it becomes all frame on the back side of the house.

Comment

I would put up a continuous 6 mil vapour barrier and make sure I sealed the outlets as well. You also need to find a way to seal the air infiltration around the rim joist

Comment

Working...
        X