Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardie Plank

Good morning,
    We live in upstate NY and after 30 years it's time to replace the masonite siding on our home. We are leaning towards Hardie Plank. Vinyl would be a far second option. Does anyone have any opinion on Hardie Plank, good or bad? We will be having a local contractor doing the work.
    Thanks, Brian

Re: Hardie Plank

I have a gable end done in hardi. I really like it. No way I would use real wood any more. Expensive, but I think it's worth it.

I guess vinyl is ok but seems like you can always tell it's vinyl. The hardi looks better to my eye.

Comment

Just had my entire house wrapped in Hardi Plank last summer. Was only a few thousand more than the premium vinyl with an insulation backer. What a difference it makes over the old faded vinyl.

We went with planks on the first level and individual shakers for the 2-1/2 stories above with an Azek border and trim. The shakers come in a 4'x8' foot sheets but the pattern would easily have been noticed. More labor for the individual shakers but worth IMO.

Find someone who installs Hardi on a regular basis. It's not the same as putting up vinyl.

Ugly yellow vinyl before
      Click image for larger version

Name:	9b767c7177a893c388e043b8d6028937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	8006

After stripping of 3 layers of siding they installed some ridgid insulation

Name:	cca6d9dd7ccc61c3176bf62c50641dce.jpg
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	8007

The planks came precolored but the shakes needed to primed and painted after installation.

Name:	781992ab016c8f39015511bb163e2c9c.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	8010

Final product

Name:	bcd403a272e8ba910aed2b263eb17385.jpg
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	8008

Name:	e3147b508e8bb66dceaa5bda34a8e24a.jpg
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	8009

Comment

Worth doing, enough said.....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Sorry it took few days to say thank you. I'm in the middle of a couple of weeks of overnights. work and sleep that's al l I do.
          Very nice before and after pictures. We are going with blue. The contractor that will be doing our installation works with Hardie Plank alll the time. It's his prefered product. Now all we have to do is wait since he has a 3 week backlog of work.
          Thanks again,
          Brian

Comment

PC, that's gorgeous. Really nice house. Thanks for posting the pics.

Comment

The fiber cement products are silica based and Hardie for example recommends scoring and breaking and not saw cutting the material as the dust stays in your lungs and causes long term damage.

For that reason I started researching options for the vent holes and came across the Hole Pro adjustable hole cutters which have tungsten carbide blades and I can make any size hole I need and cut it very quickly while having the shield catch all the dust. They even work great on ship lapped Hardie siding. Removing the cut piece from the hole cutters takes about 3 seconds as compared to all the time it takes to pry a plugt out of a hole saw. In the past I have used bi-metal hole saws with their high speed steel teeth but they lasted for only a couple holes. Tungsten carbide makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

ridgid makes a fibre cement saw that suposedly contains the silica dust from cutting cement/fibre board material.it is equiped with a ventilation system that removes the dust from the saw as u cut

Comment

Working...
                X