• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Earthquake Code

Is there one?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: California Earthquake Code

There are ammendments to the code that deal specifically with seismic movement, like seismic water heater straps, seismic gas shut off valves, and sway bracing of piping, and seismic strapping for tanks. There is more, but I will let the boys fill in the rest.
    Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 08-26-2009, 02:43 AM.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I have an ad for E.Q. Retrofitting. Structural Engineers design building's frame using soils Engs. input. Each project is specific. Some of the items are foundations,Steel reinforced piers with grade beams. Hold downs,shear walls ,Steel moment frames. Pixar's 200,000 Sq.
      Ft building is over the Hayward fault. The building is built on BF Goodrich Isolators.
      The whole building can move over 3 ft. in any direction. All utility's are flexible feeds.
      I use to work on Hi Risers in S.F. I find it fascinating to see what engineering goes into them. Sorry I rambled. Hope it helps. Tool
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Is there one?
        yep

Had an inspector have me add a third heavy(No Depot Cheapy) to the center of a couple 75s I did around the turn of the century.

California Seismic act/code/somewhatever.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          There are ammendments to the code that deal specifically with seismic movement, like seismic water heater straps, seismic gas shut off valves, and sway bracing of piping, and seismic strapping for tanks. There is more, but I will let the boys fill in the rest.
          What,cowboy couldn't finish the job?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            What,cowboy couldn't finish the job?
            adam, someone your age shouldn't be up at 4:39 in the morning

what you got up early to start practicing for steves roundup games

the seismic code for water heaters actually changed a couple times.

at first all that was required was a single approved strap for a 50. a double then a triple for a 75 and a quad for a 100. then they went to a double for a 80 and less. at this point we can do a 120 with a double. my strap of choice is a holdright qs50 or qs120.

santa monica, calif. that got rocked by the northridge quake, just recently adopted the seismic requirement for gas shut off valves. l.a. has had it since day 1 and beverly hills is still on the fence.

personally, i feel the gas valve will create much more of an issue than it will protect.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

When have I ever..ever..Shown an interest in this stuff Rick? Last year or this year.Ridgid even knows better than to even ask if I'm playing.

Comment

Each county in California has its own subset of building regs and this applies especially to earthquake resistance. Some counties, like Marin, are much tougher in this regard. Most of the requirements are trivial like bolting the sill plate to the foundation (though tough after the house is built).

In most cases if I was building a house for myself I would go beyond the code which is really not adequate in terms of strong cripple walls and beam tie-ins and even foundation construction. Having lost my house in the 1989 quake I am a lot more aware of the forces involved.

Oddly enough Santa Cruz county was mandating more stringent and tougher regs on buildings houses being repaired after the quake than on new construction.

Comment

Working...
                X