Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• um....why?

Ever see a wall built like this?

Rough cut 2X4's placed horizontally rather then vertically.
    Only demoed 2 walls (plaster) in this area, one interior(pics #1 and #3, and exterior(pic#2).
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: um....why?

When i was living in Maine and doing remodeling I found this alot but couldnt tell you why . I remodeled our 95 year old house in Milbridge ,Maine and the 2x4s were going every which waywhen i opened up the walls.
    Last edited by CLDS; 08-26-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Milbridge to Texas?
      Your a long way from home boy
      Yep home built in early 1900's, if not sooner in this section.
      Some parts seam way over built with 8X8's in places not needed.

I did cable TV in Bangor and ran across a few old homes that were way over built. Old timer told me they were Captains houses that were built using old ship timbers.
      If this type of style of building is common on the coast, I wonder if the original builder didn't have some kind of connection to the water??
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Gene,
        Can you post a photo of that black hole in the wall to the left of the door? Im curious....

Comment

Mostly rot.

The view you are seeing is from the original section of the house looking into the "addition". The door leads into a French porch. the wall of the porch meets dead center of that rot. Once the plaster was removed along that wall (due to separation/mold) we saw day light and some tar paper.
          I think maybe this was some kind of cut out as it's too square to be just rot????

close ups
          Attached Files

Comment

I have seen grain bins built some what in that manor, but more of a log cabin type, with laps and none regular splices, many of the first wooden grain elevators were of a similar construction. some times with walls that were 50 foot tall,

and about the only other type of building that would some what resemble that is when some after WW2 were able to get the ammo crates very cheap and they stacked them and built some what like kids blocks with them, to make buildings.

the other was they had a lot of short 2x4's and it was a easily way of using them, to build some thing.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Ammo crates? Thats creative. I'd like to see a pic of that. Interesting.

Not sure how many walls are built this way. The plaster is 3/4" thick and still perfect (other then a lot of chips/nicks and a few cracks).

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                Milbridge to Texas?
                Your a long way from home boy
                Yep home built in early 1900's, if not sooner in this section.
                Some parts seam way over built with 8X8's in places not needed.

I did cable TV in Bangor and ran across a few old homes that were way over built. Old timer told me they were Captains houses that were built using old ship timbers.
                If this type of style of building is common on the coast, I wonder if the original builder didn't have some kind of connection to the water??
                I moved to Maine from Texas and then back to Texas. I will post more later ......

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
                  I moved to Maine from Texas and then back to Texas. I will post more later ......
                  Enough said!
                  I'm guessing you were chasing a BMW (Big Maine Woman), can't blame ya'. They'll keep ya' warm in the winter and cool in the summer

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    Ever see a wall built like this?

Rough cut 2X4's placed horizontally rather then vertically.
                    Only demoed 2 walls (plaster) in this area, one interior(pics #1 and #3, and exterior(pic#2).
                    Its called Lathing and three coats of lime plaster, Laths are usually oregan nailed to the studs 3/8" apart and then the plaster is aplied with a float.

Tony

Comment

around here plaster and lath usually consists of 1/2" at best of horse hair plaster, and laths are just over 1/4" thick by 1 1/2" wide or so.

These are actual 2"X4"s layed down.

Comment

No, no, no, that's not lathing. That's the reason why I asked you to post a close up photo of that hole to see if it was indeed lath. I have worked on many 100+ year old homes in Toronto and the lath is always 1 & 1/2" x 3/8" x 4 ft give or take a bit since it was rough cut (nailed to the studs). The horse hair, lime, & sand scratch coat (base coat) was applied to the lath, then finishing white plaster on top of that.
                        I will say I have never seen a solid 2x4 wall like that. There must have been a story that died with the original owner of that house...like he got free 2x4s or something!

Comment

Working...
                        X