Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15" drill press isn't square! What do I need to do

Hello,
    I just inherited my fathers tools when he passed away about 2 yrs. ago.
    I'm learning to turn wood and he has a DP15501 drill press.
    I just moved it to my house and got everything set up.
    The drill press seems to be out of balance. While drilling holes in wood pen blanks it doesn't seem square on both ends after drilling.
    I've got everything set like we use to do it when I turned wood with my father. Could there be something out of balance that might not call for bearing replacement.
    If thats what I need thats no problem, but he only purchased this drill press about 4 yrs. ago at most.
    I'm sorry but thats all I know to say about my problem.
    Any help will be greatly appriciated!
    Thank You,... Mac Jr.

Re: 15" drill press isn't square! What do I need to do

I do not know about that model but the table should be able to be adjusted right side and or left side up or down to square it, front to back is normally a factory setting,(but may be shimed possibly).

and if that is not what your referring to I am not understanding the problem.

the bit does it wobble when running? is that what your meaning by balance?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If it has been sitting for two years the belts likely have set (formed) to the pulleys. If the 'off balance' goes away when the drive belts are removed you can try new ones or replace with link belt style

Comment

thats a good idea that I wouldn't have considered,... Thank You Mr. Brooks!

Comment

Thank You for your time answering my Q. I sent or tried to send you a private message about your Q. about the bit wobbling. I hope it went through.
          But again Thank You!

Comment

As for your last Q. about the bit wobbling!
            Yes it does seem as though it wobbles at the tip when turned on.
            bit wobble,
            bent bit, (if you have used the bit in a hand drill the possibly of it being bent good),

some thing wrong with the chuck, not a real likely problem but possible,

according to the manual the chuck is attached directly to the spindle no adapter used, (very small possibility the spindle could have got bent, if some one had a piece of heavy steel get away from them and spin or spin and hit the column,
            http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/733491C...501_391_PL.pdf
            http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...ridgid/DP15501

find a small piece of straight shaft and make sure it is straight and chuck it up in (ideally use a dial indicator) and see if it is out of round, and by how much, IF it much over a few thousands I would see it is the same amount of out of round at the base of the shaft as at the top of the shaft, (use a shaft a 4 to 6 inches long) if it is much greater at the bottom some thing is more than likely bent or miss machined, if it is out of round top and bottom then more than likely the chuck is not 100% right, or the spindle is not as true (machined) as it could be. (turn it by hand) also with the dial indicator one can push and pull on the spindle and see if it moves with out turning and see what the slop is in the system, (there will be some as it is not press fit in the head of the press, it should be less when it is up and more than likely more when it is down as there is less support on the quill

I do not know the tolerances of Ridgid tools but I would hope the chuck chucks up to less than .002" out of round,

a few thousands out of round will not make a major difference in most things but bent will,
            most bits are not ground to that good of tolerances, In wood I do not think one could notice it.

(could also remove the chuck and reinstall it and see if some how it had some contamination on the spindle or the seat of the chuck when it was installed, if some thing is out of wack)

(IF it was my machine these are the areas I would look at)

on the private message you stated the noise is different when going one direction down or up,

(check the manual for places to lubricate) http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/A10D7C6...50_391_Man.pdf

I do not know why it would make a different noise when moving the quill up or down. (I would check the bearing under the pulley on the front of the machine, of noise change and to see if the spindle splines are lubricated

It could be a bearing but I would really doubt if that was the cause, of the bit wobble or out of squareness,
            Last edited by BHD; 08-29-2009, 10:35 PM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

It seems to be working fine thanks to you!!! I got the manual and went out to my shop. Checked the table first, square as could be. Then I was reading about attaching the chuck and how even a speck of dirt can make it wobble. So I removed it and spent about 30 min. cleaning it. Damn it was dirty, then with the jaws wide open as stated using the table and scrap wood I reseated it.
              I also decided to check the tension on the motor pully,... it was very loose.
              after I finished everything I got out a brand new bit and my machinest square and it was strait as an arrow.
              So I reset my wood blank jig and presto,... straight even drill all the way through.
              And no higher pitch sounds when resinking the bit after clearing away dust as had happened before.
              I'm very greatful for your advise Sir. And most of all donating your time to answer me over the weekend.
              The only bad thing that came out of it was that I bent the cover to the seaked bearings at the base of the spindle. It fell off before the chuck was loose. I got 2 peices of plywood, and a peice of used cloth backed sand paper to protect the rubber seal and used my vice to see if I could salvage it,... It snaped right back on and hasn't came loose so far!
              I should replace it before it causes me more trouble on down the line don't you think? Any idea what a small sealed bearing would cost, and where I might find the best price on one?
              Again, Thanks so much,.... and have a great weakend.
              Peace,... Mac

Comment

a bearing supply would be the best, a good auto parts maybe, farm implement dealer,(John Deere, or a Agco or International/CNH dealer) they deal in bearings all the time.

Ridgid of course,

as far as cost goes, cheap bearings can be as cheap as a few dollars, and precision bearings can be much higher, (I have a valve grinding machine, and the bearing are of a high class, and I think they were like $30, 15 years ago and they were small bearings a motor bearing of the same would have been under $5),

but I would guess under $20 for the size I would guess it to be,

from this place http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...ridgid/DP15501
                looks about like $11 if it is the bearing I think it is,

if you go local shopping if you can take your bearing with you it may help, at lest the numbers off the side of it if there are numbers,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again young man! I don't care what everyone around here says about you,...
                  I like you! lol
                  Mac

Comment

Originally posted by congamac View Post
                    .......... I don't care what everyone around here says about you,...........
                    Mac
                    Tell us more, inquiring minds just love gossip............

Seriously though, BHD has been a great help to many posters here as you just found out.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Working...
                    X