X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crawlspace ventilation

I just purchased a 25 year old townhouse in the Pocono mountains. It is built over a crawlspace, which has a gravel floor, covered with plastic sheeting. The outside (front and back) walls are insulated with spray on foam insulation. There were two vents, both in the front. They were closed over with sheet insulation, then the foam insulation was sprayed over it deliberately. So it is currently unvented.

Is this reasonable, or should I cut through the foam and re-vent the crawlspace (at least in the summer)?

Re: crawlspace ventilation

I think you will find that code requires the vents.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Last building class I took they were planning on doing away with crawlspace ventilation with the rationale that the difference in temperature & humidity between the outside air and the crawlspace air is what causes the majority of the condensation problems.

Claimed they weren't necessary for this purpose.

I wonder if they help with reducing the chance of Radon exposure though?

J.C.

Comment

Crawlspace over a slab I could understand, but around here a crawlspace over grade with no moisture barrier as most of the older properties are and no ventilation the humidity problem would be worse I think.

I agree that vents would help reduce Radon build-up though they may not be enough.

2006 IMC says uninhabited spaces like crawl spaces and attics must be provided with natural ventilation openings as required by the IBC or must have mechanical supply and exhaust system.

---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
        X