Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller screeds? for concrete flat work.

has any one used or have one of the "Roller type screeds"?

how do you like it, does it meet your expectations, what don't you like about it,

the wildcat unit,
    http://www.multivibe.com/products-roller.htm
    the spin screed,
    http://www.spinscreed.com/
    K G Screed
    http://www.terramite.com/equipment/k...Frameset-6.asp

and I am sure there are others out there similar,

but would like to get some thing to help out on flat work, and get it so I am not on my knees working a board, just getting to hard on me any more.

I do not do much any more but still need to on occasion.

would like to keep it light enough so one person can handle it at least to transport and load and unload and set up.

what would you suggest,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwuC_Fu-sw
    Last edited by BHD; 10-18-2009, 04:05 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Roller screeds? for concrete flat work.

Looks like the roller is made out of 4" sch. 10 pipe. Can be had from any fire sprinkler contractor.

Never used one but looks like it would save the ol' back.

G3

Comment

yes I agree it looks like it would save some major work, and simple en ought that most any one could operate it,

I was thinking of making some thing, using steel pipe like you stated,
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I want to ride on the gas powered trowel

Comment

That looks really neat. Most of the jobs I do are 2 to 3 man jobs, not sure that 3 would even be enough here. Looks like you could get your wheel man to run the other end of that machine while your other experienced man runs the rake but i think you would need a 4 man team to make this work well. One other thing I noticed and it may just be the video but the concrete looks really wet in some of the jobs, too wet.
          Maybe it would be easier to teach one of your younger crew to use the screed and you stick to the rake, bull float and power trowel. I sure would like to see one in operation in person though.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
            Looks like the roller is made out of 4" sch. 10 pipe. Can be had from any fire sprinkler contractor.

Never used one but looks like it would save the ol' back.

G3
            Yup, I think you are right on the Sch 10. A piece of Aluminum irrigation pipe would work too, and there is plenty of that laying around on the farm no doubt. A piece of pipe and a 7" side grinder motor fitted with a handle and you are in business.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

my version of the roller screed,

some of the construction of it, I had hoped for removable ends for the tube, but the ends were not centered that were sent to me, so I had to make a solid end,

I used a 4.50 OD steel tube 11 gage,

the end welded in the tube,

the drive and the tail end

in use

Attached Files
              Last edited by BHD; 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Real nice BHD. Somehow I knew you would be rolling your own so to speak.

How is it working? Any changes or improvements coming?
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

one more of the handles

sorry about the size of the pictures,

I got the pictures resized so they would fit better,
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by BHD; 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

actually I was impressed, I had two high school kids running the screed, never had done any concrete work before, and they were able to do a good job,

and I was impressed, with the ability of it to move the mud and to level it. and since your standing and up right it is easer to pull the mud down, the other thing is it is light weight, and since there is not driving vibration it is not going to knock a person forms out of whack, (I once had a vibrating screed it worked well but you had to have very solid forms or they may work there way out of level),
                    I may make some removable ends that can be switched to various tube lengths,

I made a solid drive and tied it into the frame of the drive handle
                    I do not really know if it was needed, but the spin screed uses a U joint and the entire pull is on the spindle of the drill, it looked like it may be better to have it more supported, and so one did not have to work to keep the drive level as well.

I thought I may make a an additional non drive end, with the shaft (1") going into a 1" pipe in the main tube, that would have a short section of tube on it so that the bearing for the handle would be about 16" in from the end, with a section of tube on it, so if one was working in a basement or where one was up against a wall one could basically screed up to that wall,
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Very impressive BHD. I was going to give my opinion on what I saw on those roller screeds. Thought it was a good idea for large flat areas.

Given that I had experience in flatwork years ago, the majority of work I've done always had offsets, turns of directions, stakes sticking up around the rails and of course,

Plumbing/piping sticking up. I'd say that a smaller roller screed would be ideal but it sounds like for the use of what you need, you made your own and to the size you needed.

If you can, show us a video of your finished product.

This is not the first time I've seen you inquire or talk about something you wanted and actually built it using your knowledge and skills and created it for yourself.

Very impressive and that is a talent not too many posess.
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

there's a reason why i have you as a phone a friend

you got lots of credit the other day from the people i was working with

one day, i'll make sure to land on the back 40 and have some play time

very nice work.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          If you can, show us a video of your finished product.
                          I do not have a video, of the process, I was short handed and getting the few still shots of it working was hard enough and I do not have a video camera,

and currently we have about 3" of snow on the ground and 36 more hours of storm according to the forecast,

so I am thinking the concrete work is nearly done for the year around here,

Thank you tho for your kind words,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rick thank you as well, it was good to talk to you. and I enjoyed the pictures on your thread, of that project you were on.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

these screeds are alot more than just a spinning pipe. They acctually compact the concrete and if I recall they do vibrate slightly. I have used these on zero slump, it was a test mix without any sand. to make it porous. And have used them on bridges and big slabs.

Comment

We used these in the past and didn't care for them because they were too bulky and heavy. We currently use apearm screeds and really like them because they are light, durable and inexpensive. We bought some prototypes and cant wait for the finished ones. I think they have a site.

Comment

Working...
                              X