X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic Issues

So I pulled down my attic and hinges flew off all most hitting me in the face. My cat like reaction saved a hospital trip and my wife thought me hitting the floor was pretty funny. Anyways my attic door was broken to say the least. I got my ladder and tools and pulled the old one out and went to home depo and bought a new one. Then I realized that my hole was about 4 1/2 " wider then the previous one and the shims would not help with that. So I screwed in some 2*4's on each side then placed the shims in and then screwed in the attic door.

Now my question for all of you is what would you have done?

I will try and take some pictures on my lunch break.

Re: Attic Issues

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    So I pulled down my attic and hinges flew off all most hitting me in the face. My cat like reaction saved a hospital trip and my wife thought me hitting the floor was pretty funny. Anyways my attic door was broken to say the least. I got my ladder and tools and pulled the old one out and went to home depo and bought a new one. Then I realized that my hole was about 4 1/2 " wider then the previous one and the shims would not help with that. So I screwed in some 2*4's on each side then placed the shims in and then screwed in the attic door.

Now my question for all of you is what would you have done?

I will try and take some pictures on my lunch break.
    Is it a pull down stair with springs ?
    I would of replace the hinge. If that didnt work I would order a new one for the correct width. They make them for a 22.5,25.5,and 30" rough opening's.
    Im suprised no carpenters spoke up about having the correct license to install the stair. Those things are just as dangerous as a garage door with springs or torsion bars. They will take your head off if there not installed correct.
    Your lucky the springs didnt smack you in the chops...

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmoman View Post
      Is it a pull down stair with springs ?
      I would of replace the hinge. If that didnt work I would order a new one for the correct width. They make them for a 22.5,25.5,and 30" rough opening's.
      Im suprised no carpenters spoke up about having the correct license to install the stair. Those things are just as dangerous as a garage door with springs or torsion bars. They will take your head off if there not installed correct.
      Your lucky the springs didnt smack you in the chops...

Yes pull down with springs.
      It all most did take my head off when I opened it. We had the house inspected before we bought it but guy failed to mention the issue and we didn't notice it until after we bought the house.

I called four contractors because I don't have the time to deal with it and it's making my heater work over time to keep my house warm in this 10degree temp. All told me it would be 10days to a month to get out there . I thought some one would jump all over it. I said screw this waiting and decided to do it myself. Here are some pics of what I did so far.

Comment

I really hate doing this stuff because I don't know what I am doing because I have never done it before and the whole time it's a learning process. And my helper was my wife. God bless her heart for helping me but next time I will call a buddy to help.

What I don't get is with all the contractors being so slow why was it such a long wait to get some out here for a two hr job?

Comment

Not sure why the contractors didnt want to do the job. Make sure you wear a motor cycle helmit with a face guard when you go up to test it......
          The damn things can be dangerous at times....

Comment

Yeah one of the guys I called, I asked if I could get a phone estimate he said he can't do that over the phone then I said well give me a ball park so I can make sure I can afford you. He said no I can't do that then I asked if you charge for estimates that's when he hung up the phone. Never will do any business with them again. I didn't think it was a crime to ask what you charge. For all I know he could have charged $500 an hr and I installed the darn thing myself for $150.00

Comment

Thats just too small of a job for a contractor.
              I know how most feel about handymen but that would be cheaper and right up their ally.
              I think you are going about it the right way.Now pick up some trim and a miter box,finish nails and you are all set.
              Or have a carpenter friend over for dinner and show him what you are trying to do

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
                Thats just too small of a job for a contractor.
                I know how most feel about handymen but that would be cheaper and right up their ally.
                I think you are going about it the right way.Now pick up some trim and a miter box,finish nails and you are all set.
                Or have a carpenter friend over for dinner and show him what you are trying to do

I am a woodworker as well. So I am making my own custom trim, nothing to fancy. When I finish I will post another picture. I would have normally taken on the project myself I just don't have time right now but I had no choice. I like the challenge but I hate doing it when I have to keep stopping because I have a meeting to go to or other responsibilities that need my attention. If I have the time I love doing this kind of stuff. I will finish it up this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X