Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy apartment buildings

Hi,

I live in an apartment where you can hear people walking in the apartment above me and cabinets and doors slamming below me. I could hear the walking like loud stomps above me that drives me insane. And below me I could hear the cabinets slam and the doors too. I'm losing my mind because of this. I have moved into 5 different apartments and all of them have been this way. I work in an office building and the floors are inpenetrable and it's almost like there's 5 feet of cement between floors. You can drop a 50 lb barbell on the floor and the people working on the floor below wouldn't be able to hear it. Neither can you hear any noise from the workers who work above you. The office building has 25 floors and it's extremely quiet where you can hear a pin drop. My question is...why can't they build apartment buildings like office buildings? I would rather live in an office building that's a 100 times more quieter. Just install a bathroom with a shower and a place where I can cook my food and I'll be fine. Makes no sense.

Re: Noisy apartment buildings

It all comes down to cost. Build it cheap and charge high rent. You should try to find a house to rent or buy. It is cheaper to buy than to rent.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Depends on the office building, I work in a 5 story building and am on the 5th floor when guys are working on the roof I can here them.

I agree, look to rent a house (depending on where you are renting is cheaper than buying).

Comment

Roofs don't have the same material as floors.They're more than likely walking on plywood supported by trusses with no gypcrete.

Comment

My second apartment was practically sound proof. The only time I ever heard a neighbor is when I was standing in the hallway, and the noise would come through their door. But as soon as I walked into my apartment and closed the door, I was unable to hear them. To bad the management company that took over the place where such pr****, otherwise I would move back there. The place I been in for the last 7 years, I hear everything all day and night. Some of the people above me, must have a work out room in the master bedroom or they feel the need to rearrange the room at 2 am.

I found a few homes that would fit my needs, but with the divorce I had 7 years ago, my credit went to hell especially when the ex-wife let her car get reposed and Ford took a judgment out on me for what is owed. She also got a bunch of credit cards in our names and not paid a dime, I put a stop to that real quick, but the credit card companies want their $$$. I tried to explain to the mortgage lenders that if I could get out of this 1500 a month place into a 70K home my payments would be around 500 a month, then I would be able to pay off all the people I owe due to the divorce.

I just have to pray my health keeps up and work picks up enough so I can afford this place and pay off the bills. Now I have a small pile of medical bills coming in oh joy.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I live in a basement apt. I hear every thing from the 2 units above me. I hear the water heaters and boiler fire up at night. I hear the washing machines.
            Than I have a neighbor right above me. That I swear likes to hump the floor @ 3 am-5 am. I don't like the place but for the price I can not complain. It is better than the last one I had. The walls were so thin. You could hear the next door neighbor snoring, running water, even chewing food.

When me and the EX SPLIT I had to find place pretty quickly. I found this one and can't sleep most night. with the floor humping Neighbor that coughs like he is dying
            Last edited by handybull; 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM.

Comment

HandyBull that is how I got into the place I am in. When I first moved in the rent was much cheaper like $980 a month, but as I said I can hear everything. Recently they put in a new commercial water heater, every time it fires up I can hear it plan as day. For the first week it woke my up from a dead sleep.

Comment

Dang--apartments haven't changed in 4,000 years---

They suck. It was alright when I was young and stoned and was the one everyone complained about, though---

(We got our first snow and its cold, so I'm inside)
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  HandyBull that is how I got into the place I am in. When I first moved in the rent was much cheaper like $980 a month, but as I said I can hear everything. Recently they put in a new commercial water heater, every time it fires up I can hear it plan as day. For the first week it woke my up from a dead sleep.
                  yeah. Women. I am only paying $ 400 a month and no utilities. One of the cheapest around. I am going to call the owner and hopefuly he will let me inspect the water heater. I just want to know for peace of mind.

Speaking of EXs. Mine took me to the cleaners also. Not has bad as yours, but still bad. Too top it all I am still paying her rent. All she does is drink and when bill time comes she is broke

Comment

That's why I skipped right over renting an apartment, and went straight into a starter home. While the $1,000 a month morgage hurts...alot... on an apprentice pay, but it beats forking over $650-750 a month to someone else. Well, in complete honesty, I lived with my parents, but payed rent for a few years. So, when I went on an overseas tour, I just threw the money I earned into the back and sat on it until I earned enough to move out.

Comment

Now I have a small pile of medical bills coming in oh joy.

I know your pain. I just got mine from a week in the hospital with a bill from the ambulance service and the first of the two hospitals I stayed in.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                        I know your pain. I just got mine from a week in the hospital with a bill from the ambulance service and the first of the two hospitals I stayed in.
                        Just got the one from an ER visit I had about two weeks ago. I was having real sharp pains in my side by the lower back. So they ran a few dozen tests on me. After the insurance pays their end I am going to get hit with a 8k bill. All that to be told it was just a pulled muscle.

Comment

Working...
                        X