Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with mortar, joint mud, grout?

What do you guys do with the inevitable left over thinset, joint mud, grout, stucco, and all the other pucky that we use?

And about the 5 gallon buckets... H-D sells these for $2 and change. Do you scrub your buckets out or just toss 'em at the end of the day?

I usually scoop my left over mud or whatever into a cardboard box, let it cure, then toss it in the garbage.

And even though I can't figure out why, I find myself compelled to scrub out those &*(^% buckets.

I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing.
    Last edited by Andy_M; 02-14-2010, 02:15 AM.

Re: What do you do with mortar, joint mud, grout?

I also put my left over mud, etc. in the trash and clean my buckets. I'm cheap.

Comment

I clean my buckets and seem to never have enough of them,

and since I live in the country I usually just water down and spread the left overs out thin on the drive way and let them revert back to sand and gravel,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We let it dry in buckets and dump it with clean fill

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          I clean my buckets and seem to never have enough of them,

and since I live in the country I usually just water down and spread the left overs out thin on the drive way and let them revert back to sand and gravel,
          I do the same thing, I do the same thing with tile left overs, smash them up and use them as gravel on my d-way. Not into the whole "green" crap, but it is a cheap form of gravel to fill in pot holes and the frost spots I get every spring.

Comment

i do the same BHD
            Alabama drywall installation contractors

Comment

Thanks to those who keep the buckets just one more day. I'm the guy who needs a bucket every now and then. There is a "bucket hob-goblin" around here that eats mine. No other explanation as to their disappearance. I ride around until I see a new home construction (scarce here), or commercial remodel. I offer the mud guy's a buck-a-bucket as-is, where-is. I get the buckets, they get some change, we're all better off. David

Comment

Good idea with the mud guys. I get mine at the local bakery already cleaned, but some smell like pickles, jelly, cinnamon, etc...

As for getting rid of left over grout etc... I strongly encourage folks to just go ahead and pour it down the drain. Once it sets up, it will make your pipes stronger

By the way, my name is Ed. I somehow ended up logging in as Gene
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  Good idea with the mud guys. I get mine at the local bakery already cleaned, but some smell like pickles, jelly, cinnamon, etc...

As for getting rid of left over grout etc... I strongly encourage folks to just go ahead and pour it down the drain. Once it sets up, it will make your pipes stronger

By the way, my name is Ed. I somehow ended up logging in as Gene

I will lay out news paper or card board and dump it on that then when it is cured, toss it. We used to do that with paint as well, before they started taking it for recycling. They wouldn't let us throw it out so cans and cans would build up in the shop so we would pour out the remainder in on newspaper and when it was dry it was legal to throw out. I just remember doing that as kid back in the 80's, now days I think people would throw a fit over that.

Comment

Put it under gutters as a splashblock.

J.C.

Comment

My better half takes the left-overs and makes decorative stepping stones that she sells. Some get sold to current and past customers, others she sells at our friends re-sale shop.
                      Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
                      Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

I also did the same, Gene- -Our local Firehouse Subs had a special on their used pickle buckets to raise monies for a local charity. Heck, I always could use an extra bucket, but ten (10) of them? I put them in my work trailer over a weekend and when I opened it I was overwhelmed with dill pickle vapors. I had to set those red buckets outside for at least a week before I could get within 15 feet of them. Let's see now, I have white ones, orange ones, blue ones, green ones, red ones, and two camouflage buckets. David, the bucket man.

Comment

Working...
                        X