X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new shop plan help?

My wife finally gave me the go ahead on my new garage/workshop. I have a question on wall length?.

The shop is going to be 26'x40' with an 18'x8' garage door and a 3/0 walk in door on the south side(26'). The north side(26') will have no windows/doors of any kind(wall of cabinets). The east and west side(40') will have 2 windows 2'x3' on eash side. I will be using trusses with a 5/12 pitch roof made from 2x4's with a 2x6 bottom. I will be builing on a slab with footers-no stemwalls. I will be using an LVL above my garage door and doubled up 2x10's for my headers above my windows and walk in door.

My question is about the length of the 40' walls. I want to use 2x4 construction for all walls. I have never built a 40' wall out of 2x4's. Is that too long of a span for 2x4's? Or will sheathing/trusses true it up with no problems?

Re: new shop plan help?

the longer walls are harder to lift up into position, but the length of wall I do not think is an issue, but one can build the wall in two or three sections and then lift up and then join them, when up into one wall,

I would suggest a 10" side wall, for a shop, even a 4x8 foot sheet is difficult to maneuver in a 8' tall room, even if your rafters are open unless you have wide spacing like 8' to 12' like in pole/post barns, (and the rafters do not sound like pole barn type rafters), you will be bumping in to them maneuvering wood or lumber.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I am going with 10 footers for the walls. I am using a telelift for the trusses and I can lift the walls with it so I do not thing lifting is going to be an issue. I just wanted to know if structurally 40' will result in twisting before I install the trusses to square it up?

Comment

first when ever I put up walls I would depending on length lift them up equally, not form one point unless it was a short wall,

if you use a machine with only one lift point on a 40 foot long wall, you will most likely break it up into a number of pieces,
        IMO I would use as least two lift points and preferable three, (I made me a system some thing similar to http://www.proctorp.com/wallproducts/features.html for lifting of walls),

many times we would have braces ready to attach to the wall wall so when it got upright one could secure it in seconds, usually with double headed nails so one could easily go back and fine tune it to plumb, braces on the inside and out, just a small breeze on a sheeted wall can pull it over, we would normal use the window openings for out side braces, (if on a wood floor, Now I know you are not), then a block nailed to the floor and then fasten the brace to that,

as far as twisting goes will mainly be on how well it is braced in the process, of setting it up, if your floor is level and flat, presheeting it will make it go much faster, but if weight is a problem one can sheet it later, (some pros and cons both way and some may depend on the help and so on you may have),

the walls should be squared and plumb and setting square on the slab, before you even consider setting trusses on the walls, yes the roof deck will hold the walls after the decking is on and nailed down, but the trusses do not "square" the walls.
        Last edited by BHD; 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD,
          Thanks for the responses. I am planning on using the telelift and rope to have four lifting points. I have been debating to sheet first then lift, but I have never done that before so I was wondering about twisting. When my walls go up, I will square corner to corner before trusses go up, but with a wall length that long, if I sheet it first I just wanted to make sure that it will not twist in the middle and break the sheeting.

I appreciate any more advice or comments that you have.

Comment

What kind of work are you going to preform in your shop? My dad runs a cabinet shop and he went with 12.5' walls (poll barn construction) and wishes he would have gone 14'. Also, put in a 12' door, if you ever want to maybe park an RV or back a semi into the door to unload material, you need a 12' door, this is the biggest regret my dad has with going with a 10' door.

Comment

Working...
            X