Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roofing in Winter

Originally posted by BobKbta View Post
    You'll need to do something to protect your plywood.

Your timing is terrible.

Even if you get your roof on, your shingles will never properly when installed in cold weather.

The tar tabs won't seal from heat from the sun and wind will blow dust underneath so they can't ever seal.

The ONLY choice you have now is to install ICE DAM MEMBRANE over the whole roof once the plywood dries.

Felt paper won't work because the wind will tear it apart.

Use verticle furring strips every few feet to hold the rubber membrane down because the self-stick won't adhere either in the cold weather.

Proper roofing should be done in HOT weather.

Good luck.

ice and water shield won't stick in cold weather and does break down when exposed to direct sunlight it must be covered asap after its installed.(stuff aint cheap either)

Felt paper would be the best bet here at this point (or a tarp).

If wind is a problem use strapping nailed through to the sheeting on the seams or at intervals on top of the tarp.

if the weather settles down and they can clear THE ROOF THEN I SAY FINISH IT ASAP OTHERWISE JUST COVER WITH FELT OR TARP AND WAIT

(grr dam cap lock key)

also umm don't worry about dust seriously even in winter on a sunny day a roof will get hot enough to stick some.

Comment

The creator of this thread is from Kitchener, Ontario CANADA. Roof sheathing is 3/8" by code. 1/2" is over the min code. Never seen anyone use 5/8" on roof sheathing (maybe for heavy clay tile roofs?). 5/8" plywood is code for floors.

Comment

Just get some roof jacks and fresh 2x10s and sweep the damn snow off and shingle away.Lived in Maine for 8 years and did alot of roofing during the winter and never had one problem . Been gone for 4 years now and still in touch with alot of my old customers and they have never reported any problems with their roofs (that were done in the winter).I will say that it does suck that the tarpaper wasnt installed right away before the snow hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
          The creator of this thread is from Kitchener, Ontario CANADA. Roof sheathing is 3/8" by code. 1/2" is over the min code. Never seen anyone use 5/8" on roof sheathing (maybe for heavy clay tile roofs?). 5/8" plywood is code for floors.
          SECTION R803
          ROOF SHEATHING

Table R803.1 Minimum Thickness of Lumber Roof Sheathing. Amend this Table as follows:

Rafter or Beam Spacing Minimum Net Thickness
          (inches) (inches)
          16 & 24 5/8”

Comment

Originally posted by CLDS View Post
            Just get some roof jacks and fresh 2x10s and sweep the damn snow off and shingle away.Lived in Maine for 8 years and did alot of roofing during the winter and never had one problem . Been gone for 4 years now and still in touch with alot of my old customers and they have never reported any problems with their roofs (that were done in the winter).I will say that it does suck that the tarpaper wasnt installed right away before the snow hit.
            2X6S for roof brackets
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i'm young, yet, but i've never seen a roof decked with 3/8". even if you put a tarp on the plywood to keep it dry... why wouldn't you want an underlayment? i've heard that greenboard stuff can be taped with zipsystems tape, but it sounds like you're shingling over raw plywood unless i'm missing something.

Comment

Working...
              X