OSB Smell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSB Smell

Yesterday I rebuilt the base of our log bed frame. I used OSB as the deck. This stuff smells. How long can I expect the new wood smell to last? It's not offensive, just overpowering.

Did I make a mistake using OSB to be a tighta$$...???

Re: OSB Smell

Yes.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
      Yes.
      Thanks for the response. Is the mistake due to the smell or is there another reason I chose the wrong product?

Comment

Personally, I dislike OSB, but if you're using it for inside sheathing where it's covered and won't get wet, then okay I guess.

In your case, considering it's a bed frame, I would think you would have used something a little nicer and less industrial than glued stand board.

I don't know the configuration, but something I was sleeping on would be pine, cedar, oak, etc.

I can't stand OSB for general outside construction, the thought of sleeping near it makes me want to barf.

Sorry to be blunt, but, well, you asked.......................

Comment

OSB is generally bonded with wax and resin adhesives which may be the source of the odor. The odor may fade over time and the option of sealing may be considered if necessary especially to keep OSB from splintering/separating

Comment

Personally, I dislike OSB, but if you're using it for inside sheathing where it's covered and won't get wet, then okay I guess.

In your case, considering it's a bed frame, I would think you would have used something a little nicer and less industrial than glued stand board.

I don't know the configuration, but something I was sleeping on would be pine, cedar, oak, etc.

I can't stand OSB for general outside construction, the thought of sleeping near it makes me want to barf.

Sorry to be blunt, but, well, you asked.......................
            I see your point totally however, I used OSB because it matters not at all what it looks like. It was used as the frame base for our Select Comfort frame to sit on top of. It is completely covered with the remainder of the bed. No moisture, no sunlight, no elements whatsoever. I can submit photos if you want.

I posted originally not because I wanted to know if the quality of the product was as good as others, but because of the odor we noticed after the fact. All I needed was something to make a flat surface out of. Had it been a part of the frame that could be seen, trust me...I'm not that much of a redneck.

I suppose my original thread should have read..."Will the smell go away?"
            Last edited by doc_63; 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doc_63 View Post
              I see your point totally however, I used OSB because it matters not at all what it looks like. It was used as the frame base for our Select Comfort frame to sit on top of. It is completely covered with the remainder of the bed. No moisture, no sunlight, no elements whatsoever. I can submit photos if you want.

I posted originally not because I wanted to know if the quality of the product was as good as others, but because of the odor we noticed after the fact. All I needed was something to make a flat surface out of. Had it been a part of the frame that could be seen, trust me...I'm not that much of a redneck.

I suppose my original thread should have read..."Will the smell go away?"
              I assumed you used it as you explained, and I would have used hardwood or, at the very least, plywood.

I don't know when/if/how the smell will go away. Maybe you should seal it with a sealer, thereby sealing the smell in.

Then again, then you'd have the smell of the sealer for a while..........hmmmmmm

Comment

I assumed you used it as you explained, and I would have used hardwood or, at the very least, plywood.

I don't know when/if/how the smell will go away. Maybe you should seal it with a sealer, thereby sealing the smell in.

Then again, then you'd have the smell of the sealer for a while..........hmmmmmm
                I suppose I'll give it a little time and see. Otherwise chock it up to a lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by doc_63 View Post
                  Yesterday I rebuilt the base of our log bed frame. I used OSB as the deck. This stuff smells. How long can I expect the new wood smell to last? It's not offensive, just overpowering.

Did I make a mistake using OSB to be a tighta$$...???
                  OSB? Hmmm... not a great choice for furniture! But since you used it, try two coats of Kilz II or Kilz Premium, let dry thoroughly (I would give it a few days) then topcoat with interior latex paint with a several drops of vanilla extract to help kill the "new paint" smell. Put some felt down over that where the bed rests on it to keep the bed from sticking to the fresh paint.
                  Last edited by Andy_M; 03-28-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Done is done, I suppose. I generally try to stay away from products like OSB, MDF, and Chipboard as they are mostly "glue/resin" and there's an awful lot of "outgassing" which can and will occur. Generally speaking, it's just not healthy stuff to be around for a prolonged period of time and too much of it (at least in the past) contains formaldahyde... you could ask your retailer of an data sheet on the product so you know what it is that you are smelling.

Shellac is a well-known sealer and much better than most paint-like products in my opinion. It should do a good job of containing most odor, chemical, or resin stains.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Couple shots of a quick drying lacquer will also seal in the OSB smell, but probably will stink like lacquer for a week. I put OSB on the walls in my garage as I hate drywall products in garages (cant mount anything to it and dents way to easy from flying tools... lol) But I plan on painting it eventually, but it still smells after 5 months!

Comment

I should have updated sooner. The smell only lasted a few days and it's completely gone.

OSB turned out to be the right product for this job considering the price difference. Maybe I got lucky, but I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                        X