Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water proof under foyer tiles?

Hello,

I am starting a project in a couple of weeks removing carpet from an entrance foyer and tiling the roughly 8x8 area with granite. I am doing tight grout lines and plan to liberally apply sealer to the tile and grout.

I have never used Ditra yet or another type of water proof membrane under the tile. What do you guys think of it? If I have the clearance spacing to use it I figure I might as well. If I don't have good clearance am I shooting myself in the foot tiling an entrance from the outdoors without waterproofing?

Thanks!

Re: Water proof under foyer tiles?

Haven't tried Ditra but am thinking of it for my foyer. It's only 1/8" thick IIRC, but its been a while since I read the literature on it.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Have not used Ditra myself YET but it appears to be a good product. I attended Schluters hands on class. Check with them, there might be a class near you. First class company.

wookie

Comment

Are you "waterproofing" or "sealing grout lines from stains"?
        Duct Tape Fixes Everything

Comment

Good point.. I am looking to waterproof the foyer and assumed the sealer would also waterproof the grout. I'm going to go with a waterproofing membrane definitely.

Comment

Working...
          X