X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Siding over Brick

I am moving into a property that had vinyl siding installed over brick. I am not sure how the siding was installed but assuming that furring strips were put up and drilled through brick or mortar. I want to remove the siding and just have the brick. Will the brick be ruined? What will I need to fix?
    Help me make Wishes Come True!
    Support the Make-A-Wish Foundation

Re: Vinyl Siding over Brick

This post reminds me of an "All in the Family" episode where Archie Bunker was being conned into getting Aluminum siding over his brick house....LOL.
    So, you ask: Will the brick be ruined? What will I need to fix?..it all depends....You will have to investigate.... which means taking off some of the siding in an area that is least noticeable. They also may have glued stryro foam insulation to the brick, which will be a big mess. If they drilled into the motar joints to screw (or nail) the furring strips wth no glued insulation, you're OK...just fill the holes with Motar. If they drilled (or drilled) into the brick, its more of a problem... you may even have some cracked bricks...matching the brick colour when trying to fill holes or replace brick will be a challenge. If they used a glue (like PL Premium) on the furring strips you will never be able to clean the brick. You have to investigate. I ask the question: What idiot puts vinyl siding over brick? (and I don't want to hear about heating costs and adding insulation).

Comment

"What idiot puts vinyl siding over brick? (and I don't want to hear about heating costs and adding insulation)."

Probably someone who got a bid for re-tucking all the brick mortar on the house. Then, he realized it is cheaper (and cheaper looking) to put vinyl over it.

Comment

I do any kind of siding that is out there, wood, vinyl, ceder, shake, scallops, hardy, gingerbread you name it chance Is I've done exterior.
        For someone to side over brick there Must have Ben a reason.
        I bet a dime to a donut the brick is shot from the new install. They might try to hit the mortar joints but my two cents says they missed a few.
        I use a Remington ram-set with 22 cal loads, (red) liquid nail to ty in 1"X 3" fer strips. This I do on cinder block, never brick.

Remove it and I hope you have a decent tuck pointer and mortar matcher.
        Good luck my friend.

Bobby.
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
        Be safe out there folks
        Bob B
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

Working...
        X