X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Really Need Some Help With This!

I attend a small church here is Salem, OR they have asked me to build them a small shed about 10*12 behind a manufactured annex. This area will be used to store tables and chairs. The annex is approx 1500 sq ft it's used as a kitchen and dinning area and has four exits. We want to take one of the exits and build a non load bearing shed that connects to that door with no electric or plumbing. I called the city and they said I need a permit and inspections and all that. Which means we have to hire a contractor and my church can't afford that. So I was thinking about building an enclosed deck I know they can be up to 200 sq ft with out requiring a permit and even be load bearing. I know how you guys feel about giving advise to non-licensed contractors but my church really needs this and they are not just being cheap they just don't have the money I know because I am on the board. Any help would be great or any ideas.

Thanks guys

Daniel Lawrence

Re: I Really Need Some Help With This!

just a question or two,
    will a free standing storage shed that is not on a foundation need a permit /contractor? does it make a difference if it is not attached to the building?
    and can you legally "close" off one of the exits if it enters directly to the storage area? may need to check with the fire Marshal (or in our area that is who sets the number of exit, minimums)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

[QUOTE=BHD;304974]just a question or two,
      will a free standing storage shed that is not on a foundation need a permit /contractor?[QUOTE]

The city said it does not require a permit as long as it is at least 3ft from the existing building. But that just won't work.

does it make a difference if it is not attached to the building?
      and can you legally "close" off one of the exits if it enters directly to the storage area? may need to check with the fire Marshal (or in our area that is who sets the number of exit, minimums)

I did check with a the fire marshal and we have three other exits so we will be ok. He said it may be wise to add an additional exit from the storage area which I actually plan on doing anyways. So technically we will not lose an exit it will just have a second door to go through.

Comment

I did check with a the fire marshal and we have three other exits so we will be ok. He said it may be wise to add an additional exit from the storage area which I actually plan on doing anyways. So technically we will not lose an exit it will just have a second door to go through.
        Yeah, but your shed will be full of stuff; so in practice you'll lose the exit.

I would really consider the 3ft gap if you can at all make it work. It isn't great for the weather, but I think it would be worth it to avoid any permits and hassles.

Comment

dan, see if there is a company called "tuff shed" they can prefab a shed to your specs and drop it off. they can probably work with you on the finances. might be worth looking into.

or possibly a good project that the est of the congregation can help with.

our buddy steve is pretty good with a hammer too

rick.
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Can you self contract it as a home owner, does his own, It is my understanding (in our area), that if your a church member it falls under the same as "ownership" so church members are able to do there own contracting, you would still have to go thought the inspection processes and permit process most likely.

the other option I would consider is to place the shed the 3 or 4 feet out and then after the fact put a "entrance cover" over the 3 or 4 feet so it says dry and possibly a side door in the "entrace" cover, area,
            Last edited by BHD; 07-22-2010, 10:06 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

We can self contract it, that is the option I am looking into now. I have experience with building I have built several homes in an orphanage in Mexico under the guidance of a contractor that volunteered his service. I have also done several remodeling projects as well as my wood working. So I can do the project with the help of my good buddy who is a drafter for an architectural firm here in town. With his help I can have the plans drawn up and approved at no cost. He owes me big anyways I have helped him move four times in the last six years and remodeled his entire house just him and I last summer. So he offer his service for free woo hoo. I just was hoping to skip the permit hassle and save some money for the church. I will find out today what we will have to do. My buddy going down to the city and talk to them and see what we can do.

Thank you for you help guys.

P.S. Rick I thought about doing that the problem is, is that there is no way to get a unit like that in the area we need it. However it is a good idea.

Comment

Dan, Tuff Shed will build it in panels, hand carry it to where you want it and then assemble the shed on site

Comment

So Tuff shed is out of our budget and a mill near Portland, OR shut down I am trying work out a deal for the lumber we need for half off retail due to my church is non-profit. I worked out the details with the city so we are good to go. I really wish I could hire a contractor to do this but my church just does not have money to do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X