X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok guys n Gals need some advice

Ok im on a budget but i don't want to have to rip it all out and have it redone in 3-4 years or LESS because of skimping....

Im remodeling bathroom, which was a mess due to the previous owner ..fortunately an expected expense i new prior to purchase!!

So i ripped it all the old tile and then the cast iron bath OMG it was heavy all the tiles off and floor lifted ...floor supports strengthened due to some water damage and a 1 1/2 inch sub-floor treated wood replaced. Bath tub and surround walls in place ... vikrel based product by Kholer seems good value for money ..as i said im on a budget.

NOw here is the crutch of my question The majority of the bathroom now needs drywall replaced ... the shower stall surrounds go to 6 feet with 2 feet above to ceilingand i will be tiling floor and the adjacent wall were pedestal sink and toilet will be situated ... I havent cut it yet but i bought plain drywall DUH!! (it was only when i got home and thought about it again anyway better to realize and stop than press ahead) the Lowes and Home Depot nearby dont carry the green-board and have a cement board which seems super heavy to hang on walls...

Can someone give me some advice here as i said the walls up to 4 feet will be ceramic tiled and the surround goes up 6 feet ... i am also going to tile the floor ....
    sorry if it seems long winded however i am extremely frustrated but relieved that i haven't put it up then discovered my foolishness.

Re: Ok guys n Gals need some advice

If I understand you correctly, you are installing a tub/shower combination with fibreglas/plastic surrounds that go up 6 feet. If so, you are good to go with your regular drywall. No problem with drywall on the wall behind the stool and lav either.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!! OK well i guess i can press on .... think ill use cement board on the floor tho ....especially the area ride outside the tub..

My only concern is still the area above the shower walls the lip in the shower surround to ceiling area... hopefully the steam wont damage the drywall integrity.... btw i am going to prime it before painting presuming this is correct and will help..

Sub question ... to the pros then a WET AREA is say the shower/tub area but not right outside it or in same room??

Comment

I would use green board anywhere that may get wet.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I wish i could find it nearby.... lowes and home depot dont have it ...very strange !!!!

Comment

Just called lowes they suggested using (no surprise) the stuff they stock GOLD BOND Purple .... if it says not tile backer considering this isn't going to be in SHOWER should it be OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Elliesdad View Post
              Just called lowes they suggested using (no surprise) the stuff they stock GOLD BOND Purple .... if it says not tile backer considering this isn't going to be in SHOWER should it be OK?
              That actually would be even better as it includes a mold inhibitor.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

We use the purple now, the greenboard is only water resistant paper the purple is completely water resistant and mold resistant

Comment

You know i really appreciate you all taking time to reply!! ...and as such i have one final question as i will be tiling on the "dry side" of the bathroom... can i tile directly onto the purple board..

TY ... i know i ask a lot but i figure well its best to ask know than go at it presuming im right and ripping it out in a few years

Certainly am learning a lot thro this ... next is the kitchen ..only good thing about that will be good excuse to get take away for a while

Comment

I would try to find Dens-Shield to use as a tile backer.

It's completely paperless drywall that is rated as a tile backer.

We started using it for bathrooms a few years ago. We seldom use green board at all, but it's the minimum we'll put in bathrooms.

Densarmor Gold isn't a rated tile backer, but I believe it's totally paperless also, and pretty tough.

Comment

Working...
                    X