Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Bearing Wall Removal

Hey Folks,

I am in the midst of evaluating a renovation of main floor of a two-storey house that would see the removal of a load bearing wall. I do plan to hire a contractor to do the work but prefer to head into my search armed with some knowledge to help evaluate the contractors.

The details are this:

• Removal of majority of a wall between kitchen and family room - There is currently a standard door opening at either end, one opening would be closed in and the other would remain

• Not much for services to deal with in the wall (one outlet, one switch and a central vac connection)

• Wall runs perpendicular to the floor joists that support second floor above

• Existing wall sits over basement support that is largely comprised of a steel beam with post (quad 2X6 to footings) that frames an opening in the basement

I will certainly plan to have an engineer size the beam appropriately and evaluate loads etc. but given the specs above, my feeling is that a reasonable structural solution should be: install suitable beam to span the new opening supported by posts over top of the existing load bearing walls in the basement. Does that sound reasonable? Is there a recommended type of beam that is preferred (conventional, LVL, steel)? If the support posts for the new beam line up with the support wall below, is it likely that they can be located anywhere along the length of the lower support wall or will they need to be over the posts that go to footing in the basement to provide continuous point load?

Your insight is much appreciated.

Re: Load Bearing Wall Removal

a glue laminated beam would be the least complicated to work with. especially in a finished home.

depending on the span, and floor joist dimension, if the lam beam will work, i would go that route.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

You are missing an important part of the equation--measurements! If the opening is only 3 feet, you could get by with 2x4's, but if it is 30 feet, that's a whole different story. Likewise on the support question.

Comment

Boy you are fussy wanting measurements and all

The opening would span about 10-11 feet.

Comment

Hi,

I am in the middle of getting the wall removed, I hired a contractor to do it, I was curious if you ended up doing it and if you had to add or move the existing post in the basement?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            a glue laminated beam would be the least complicated to work with. especially in a finished home.

depending on the span, and floor joist dimension, if the lam beam will work, i would go that route.

rick.
            You have nice points. But what brand would you recommend for this? I'm just wondering which is the most worth buying.
            Last edited by rotech; 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM.
            Water Damage | Water Damage Elgin IL

Comment

Working...
            X