X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double-shear hangers?

Hi! First post - I'm installing a beam (doubled 2x10) for circus people to hang from and do aerial performance.

I picked out a couple hangers (Simpson HUS-210-2). I picked the "double-shear" nailing version because they are advertised as "strong", etc, but after the engineer ran the calcs for me and said they would work, I find myself looking at the Simpson catalog and noticing that the shear versions all have a greater resistance to uplift, but are rated at lower allowable loads, and it seems like I could substitute a non-shear version and be better off. In other words, I think the double-shear hangers are actually sold as a cheaper/easier and "strong enough" alternative, and I was confused by the marketing.

E.g., the HUS-210-2 has uplift of 2105 in the "133" column, and a floor load ("100") of 1650. The HU-210-2, however, has uplift of 1570 and floor load 2090. Same pattern for all the various hangers I looked at.

So I'm wondering if this is a case of me getting foolishly side-tracked into adding shear resistance but taking away what I need more, which is basic load bearing.

Are these double-shear hangers useful for just that, shear, and not useful when max weight bearing is needed? If so, I think I can substitute the "normal" hanger without needing to re-engineer anything. Unless, that is, the "shear" aspect of the hangers helps this application: there won't be much swinging, mostly straight hanging (at much less than the rated loads), but there might be some swinging as well...

Thanks for any insight!
    -C
Working...
X