Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to support this brick veneer?

The house has a small front entry way, approximately 7' wide with a door.

The first couple of courses of brick veneer are loose, I am planning to remove about 4 courses, to install a built-up beam as an attachment for a deck ledger board.

Now, my first question is, because the wall either side of the door is only about a couple of feet wide and about eight feet high, do I need to build a temporary support for it? The mortar looks in good shape, other than at the bottom, down where the concrete step was.

Brick veneer, about 2' wide eight feet high, brick corner at one side and door frame at other.

Ray

Re: Do I need to support this brick veneer?

You are just removing the brick from UNDER the door way correct? Not under the columns of brick on either side of the door? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chemeng View Post
      You are just removing the brick from UNDER the door way correct? Not under the columns of brick on either side of the door? Right?
      No, it's the brick on either side of the doorway.

Comment

You CANNOT remove the lower 4 courses of brick from each side of the door. If you do all the brick will come crashing down. You can remove 1-2 bricks at a time and replace/fix up the damage, let it dry then the next day do 1-2 more bricks.....CANNOT removethem all at once!

Comment

Here's a better explaination of what I'm doing.

Attachment Attachment

What I want to do, is remove the first few courses of brick, up to the door sill. Then install a beam reaching from the foundation (blocks) the the bricks. It's about 11.5"
          I can bolt the beam fo the rim joist and then fasten the deck to the beam, this way it will be a lot sturdier than having to use the bricks or go through them to the inside joist.

I would have thought that the bricks would have supported themselves in this situation, being that the span is so short, but I'll play it safe and support them while the lower ones are removed.
          Attached Files

Comment

Are you going to use a steel beam?

Comment

No, I'm planning on using a build up of 2 x 12s, that will reach from the concrete block wall to the remaining bricks, here's another picture.
              Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

You can't support brick veneer on wood because the wood will expand and contract with the seasons and cause severe cracking in the brick and or mortar. I don't see an easy way to add a steel lintel either. I believe your best option is to repoint and replace the brick. Think of the brick veneer as a house of cards, what happens when you pull out the bottom row of cards? All the veneer is supported off the foundation, removing the bottom row removes the support for the wall.

Comment

Thanks Wayne, that's what I was afraid of, what if I rotated the load bearing portions 90 degrees, so that the grain runs up and down?

I could have the first two 2x8s lagged to the house rim joist and then sections of rotated 2x12s to support the brickwork.

There's less than 2ft of brick to support on either side of the door.

If I can do this it'll be better for attaching the deck to.

If you don't think it's a good idea, I'll rethink it.

Thanks, Ray

Comment

I still would not do it.
                    If this was my house I would see what it took to remove the outline of the columns from the brick (unless they are going back up) because that might require a sand blast. Once done I would look at the mortar and decide if I needed to repoint the entire front so you can not see multiple patch jobs.
                    I would then pull the door frame and check for water damage, add the row of bricks under the door and replace or reseal /level the door frame.
                    It looks like you are thinking of having your deck at the same level as your door entrance, I would suggest you have one step up to the door from the deck to allow snow to blow off instead of accumulating at the door

Comment

Oh, that sucks, no not the post I had it already to submit and went to check the spelling, it asked me to run an add on, I said yup, and my posting disappeared, bummer.

I told my daughter in law today that she had to get her husband to get wielding on that sledge hammer, he has to take out the concrete steps now. Original idea was to build over most of the and just take out the minimum, now he's got some work to do.

So it's back to the original plan, this beam idea only came about because of the bad bricks, it seemed to kill two birds with one beam.

Why do you mention bricks under the door, is that just for looks? I was planning on a poured in place step.

Thanks Wayne. . and Chemeng

Ray

Comment

Yep, just for looks and easier than forming and pouring.
                        If you pour use a bonding agent to help the new concrete stick to the old

Comment

Working...
                        X