• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about electrical panel mounting in basement

POCO = power comany,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

joe

i'm not going to ask about the black extension cord, but if it was me i would replace those metal staples with plastic ones. just me. breid..............

Comment

The black cord: the end you don't see is coming from a 30A exterior box that the portable generator hooks into. The free end connects to the transfer box shown to the left. I just leave it disconnected because that's how I found it when we bought the house. The transfer option works perfectly.

Plastic staples? I may do that!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It went up yesterday, no hitches. Utility company killed power at transformer and pulled the meter. Painted with Drylok, used tapcon screws to anchor PT plywood strips onto concrete, used SS screws to mount PT plywood board onto strips, used plastic staples to secure wiring.

Looks very professional, and I have room to mount the feeds and splitters for my antenna and internet.

Original:

In progress:

Final, before installing cover and stapling romex:

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
            Thanks for the advice. It went up yesterday, no hitches. Utility company killed power at transformer and pulled the meter. Painted with Drylok, used tapcon screws to anchor PT plywood strips onto concrete, used SS screws to mount PT plywood board onto strips, used plastic staples to secure wiring.

Looks very professional, and I have room to mount the feeds and splitters for my antenna and internet.

Original:

In progress:

Final, before installing cover and stapling romex:
            Looks great Joe.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

looks good,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The black cord: the end you don't see is coming from a 30A exterior box that the portable generator hooks into. The free end connects to the transfer box shown to the left. I just leave it disconnected because that's how I found it when we bought the house. The transfer option works perfectly.

Plastic staples? I may do that!

Just a thought . Whenever i need to put wood up for boxes i like to put up double what my current need is for future projects

Comment

Originally posted by LockSmithSavant View Post
                  Just a thought . Whenever i need to put wood up for boxes i like to put up double what my current need is for future projects
                  Good point. In this case, it is going to be behind pantry doors and flush with a wall, so there is limited width I have to work with.

Comment

Are are saying the panel will end up inside a closet concealed behind doors?
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Are are saying the panel will end up inside a closet concealed behind doors?
                      Yes, there will be no ceiling, just the floor joists from the first floor. Is there a "code" concern?

Edit: I plan on using pantry doors 30" wide centered on center of electrical panel. When closed, there will be a distance of about 1 foot from the backside of the door to the face of the electrical panel. Opened fully, past 90 degrees, the doors will provide lots of access. Nothing will be stored in this "closet" area.
                      Last edited by JoePolvino; 10-01-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Yes, there will be no ceiling, just the floor joists from the first floor. Is there a "code" concern?

Edit: I plan on using pantry doors 30" wide centered on center of electrical panel. When closed, there will be a distance of about 1 foot from the backside of the door to the face of the electrical panel. Opened fully, past 90 degrees, the doors will provide lots of access. Nothing will be stored in this "closet" area.

Not sure about the code issue, but I thought this was brought up here a couple years ago and that the response from some of the members who are electricians was that a breaker panel could not be hidden in a closet in the manner you propose. I understand the desire to do so and if I were to remodel or finish off the portion of my basement where the breaker panel is located I would probably want to do the same as you, just not sure its 'allowed' by NEC. Not sure but I would think the concern is that in an emergency someone not knowledgeable about the location of the panel might never or be delayed in finding it and removing power/opening a breaker in an emergency. that's the only reason I can think of for not allowing it. Someone here should know for sure.

Just found this thread on another forum which may shed some light on the subject.
                        http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/for...?TOPIC_ID=6773

From reviewing the above as well as Mike Holts' site for threads on the topic it appears it is ok to do as long as the closet is NOT a clothes closet. The issue is the storage of easily ignitable material in the same space as teh electrical panel which I am sure everyone can see the issue there. There must also be enough space for proper access to the panel. There were two sections of the code that were called out by a number of posters as relavent.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 11-02-2010, 01:22 PM. Reason: added links
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

After pulling the meter. Check to see that your electric service is grounded. 1) To the street side of water meter and or to a driven ground rod . Both places should have a "Do not remove wire" tag attached. You would be surprised how many services I have come across that were not grounded.

Good Luck. DAE.

Comment

Working...
                          X