X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about electrical panel mounting in basement

I'm in the process of preparing to finish my basement, and found this condition after removing the blanket insulation from my basement walls:

I'd like to replace that piece of mildewy plywood, but would like some advice on how to do it. My initial approach is:
    1. Unstaple conduits at the top
    2. Remove wood screws holding panel onto plywood
    3. Pivot panel upward about 45 degrees, secure to floor joists with twine
    4. Remove plywood from wall
    5. Clean and seal wall with Drylok
    6. Anchor 2 vertical furring strips to wall
    7. Install new plywood onto furring strips
    8. Mount box onto plywood

I plan on shutting off the main before moving this box. Are there any other precautions I should take? Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks.

Re: Question about electrical panel mounting in basement

Whatever approach you use, REMEMBER, shutting off the main does NOT shut off power coming in to the box. Be safe.

Comment

Pull the meter.

Comment

Something I have always wondered since the newer digital meters have been in use. If you pull one, I assume it has some type of battery back-up, since if you lost power, it can't reset or they wouldn't be able to give an accurate reading for usage; how long can a meter be pulled before it would reset itself to zero?

Comment

if you pull the meter do it with permission of the power company,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I just called my power company and they said they can shut off power outside my house and turn it back on when I'm done, no charge. Being that I'm not an electrician, this is the safest option. I'll have a generator that I can use for portable lights as I work in the basement (yes, generator will be outside).

Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Interesting you ask about the smart meter. I put in a new Square D breaker panel last fall and I pulled the meter (electric company charges for that, and Im not paying for something so simple)... It was a smart meter and I thought how "smart" are these smart meters. Would the electric company show up at my house within an hour knowing the meter was pulled?...would a signal be sent out? Nope! Nothing happened. I had the meter out for a few hours, put it back in and never heard anything. The electric company kept sending me regular bills, no upset in the consumption numbers registered...go figure!

Comment

If You have to ask,You have no business touching it!
                Have an electrician mount 1/2" pressure treated plywood in its place.
                untreated Fir should not be against masonry.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  If You have to ask,You have no business touching it!
                  Have an electrician mount 1/2" pressure treated plywood in its place.
                  untreated Fir should not be against masonry.
                  Don't take this the wrong way, but are you really suggesting that I need to call in an electrician to do this? The current plywood is *nailed* directly onto untreated cement block. So much for that electrician's superior technical knowledge!

Comment

How is he supposed to pull the meter? In my town, all the meters are locked in place, and only the power company has the tools to remove them. Is that not the case in different areas?

Comment

In Toronto on electrical meters they put on these mickey mouse little plastic labels with a thin wire going through it...if you look at it the wrong way it will fall off on its own. In another city nearby, they use the little plastic ties which are a joke.
                      They used to sell borax dipped pressure treated plywood for electrical boxes at Home Depot, but I have not seen them recently (borax won't burn, and pressure treating won't rot). I like to put a piece of tar paper behind the plywood and we have to put drywall or cement board on top (can't mount the panel on a combustable surface), but most often I just see them on plywood directly....inspected doesnt care I guess?

Comment

Around here they are more to alert Hydro that you are playing with the service. How could I possibly remove this meter
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by wbrooks; 09-16-2010, 07:04 AM. Reason: sorry could not get image to attach.. before now??

Comment

Very very simple.....either cut one side of the wire and unscrew the bolt, then later slip on the wire again...
                          or
                          pull the wire out of the plastic, then unscrew, and later force the wire back in. Did it both ways many times and noone ever said boo...ever-

Comment

The little mickey mouse things with the wire are not locks, they are seals. If the seal is broken you can be fined, and the fine here in No CA is very steep. You could also face criminal charges if in fact they decided you were stealing power. It's one of those things that's seems fine until you get caught and hit with a huge fine.

Pulling the meter is the safest way to go. But I would call your POCO first.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                              Pulling the meter is the safest way to go. But I would call your POCO first.
                              Not sure what a POCO is, but I did call my utility company, and they're shutting off power to my house so I can work on a panel I know is not energized.

Comment

Working...
                              X