X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking asphalt shingles roof

Just found there is a leaking in one of my roof valleys. we have no plan to replace the roof this year. I am asking if there is a way to repair it temporarily? how about Henry Wet Patch Roof Cement (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053) or Henry Rubber Wet Patch (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053) ?

thanks

Re: leaking asphalt shingles roof

Steel roof valley?

Comment

If you know where it is leaking it may work, but it is a patch, I would not expect years of service,

I know some have got some results out of the "Elastomeric Roof Coating" basically a thick latex coating, some companies have a system that has a netting or fabric, that helps keep it from cracking it may help for some time,

if one can see what the problem is it would be better to fix what is wrong rather than trying to patch it, with some type of top fix,

normally there is a tin or metal flashing in the valley if it gets punctured many times you will have a leak, if the shingles are woven in the valley, usually there is a flashing under that as well, now they recommend the Ice and snow shield under the valley tin or flashing, a rubber membrane that is self sealing, around nails and other fasteners,

if the valley is not installed correctly some time water will fill up the valley and catch the top of a row of shingles and be forced back up under the roof, the edges of the shingles if on a open in a lapped valley should be cut with the valley and also the the top edge 45ed, so it forces any water back to the valley instead of being able to follow it along the top of the shingle and back under the shingles,

there is a special bar, that Dasco makes that one can reach up and remove nails on the shingles and do some repairs and replace shingles or open up a roof and do repairs,
      http://www.amazon.com/Dasco-640-24-S.../dp/B000BQS5QO

another tool I find that helps on the last shingles is the "roof snake".
      http://www.amazon.com/PacTool-Intern.../dp/B00005A1K9

also there is a right and wrong way to nail shingles in the valley so one does not puncture the area where the valley tin/flashing is to shed water, usually no closer than 8 to 10 inches from the valley center, is a no nail zone,

there are a lot of information on the net on shingling and how to do valleys and even go to shingles manufactures and down load the instructions and they will give there ideas on what is the correct way to do it,
      Last edited by BHD; 09-28-2010, 12:19 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

48 years ago I started out as a roofer. Are You near the Bay area? By now My hands Just do the work. $7.05 a 3 bundle square [ bird shingles ] 1962
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Are You near the Bay area?
          i am in another side of this country.

Comment

Originally posted by housecarer View Post
            i am in another side of this country.
            move!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

that's how you get to another side of the country. breid.................

Comment

Like BHD had said, using a fabric can strengthen the coating. I my self use this strategy to end leaks.
                Last edited by rotech; 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM.
                Water Damage | Water Damage Elgin IL

Comment

Working...
                X