X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement window questions

Recently we had a serious storm with softball size hail.
    We had a number of windows that had shattered glass.
    Thus this is the opportunity to replace the 1966 vintage aluminum
    slider single pane windows with PELLA low-E dual pane sliding windows.

Do I need a building permit to do this?
    Cut out the old frame, slide in the new window, secure it, insulate, caulk, trim, etc. The rough opening is clean and does not require any serious prep work.

I have not been very successful contacting my city's building department. The website is just awful but I have read if I need to replace the trap in my kitchen faucet I need a permit, If I change the faucet, I need a permit....the list and prices are sinful. The cost of a permit to replace a garbage disposal is almost as much as a cheap disposal! Then the inspection wait is WEEKS!

I realize the purpose of permits and to ensure the work is properly done and to discourage the goof ball from destroying his home!
    But the hassle is amazing where by I am confident with my work and experience to do the task at hand properly.

We will also need to replace our gutters and I'll be using the same company that installed them..They use that slick forming machine that makes any length....They indicate no permit required.

The air conditioning needs the condenser coils combed out or worse case replaced...mixed quotes one with permit one without..Both by brand name service entities

NO GYPSIES or SCAMMERS allowed close to my property!

I need to replace an off air antenna too and again the city claims building permit

I understand the criteria for permits but I'm also thinking they are now using the permit process as a means for fast cash!

any thoughts would be appreciated

Cactus Man

Re: replacement window questions

I'm not in the trades, so obviously this is just another homeowner's opinion, worth only what you may think of it.

First off, it's obvious that your municipality REQUIRES it. My answer to the subject question: "Check with your local code inforcement office" is thus a moot point.

That of course leads to the question of "penalty" if they catch you doing the work without the required permit? And of course the further question which is how are they going to know? Do they drive around and regularly check out your neighborhood, offer rewards for neighbors to tell, or somewho monitor local supplier sales?

Much of this is in jest, but in some towns and villages, there are strange things going on and of course there is always the "law abiding" nosey neighbor.

With all that aside (if it really can be set aside), I'd simply do the installation and avoid the expense, the inspection, and the subsequent hiking of your taxes (in my village, that's the true objective of "permits" as such items are regular reviewed by the tax assessors office).

But, I'd pin down some of those earlier questions first and make sure the penalty doesn't far exceed the cost of going legal. Then I think I'd start taking an active role in my local politics, get your neighbors and councilman involved and maybe some of the trades people, unions, etc. Having the cost of permits so high that citizens start looking for ways to get avoid the practice, tells me that something is seriously wrong in your local government is out of control.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

You might want to read this if you haven't already, see pg 35 of 37.
      http://www.glendaleaz.com/buildingsa...ments/2575.pdf

and this

http://www.glendaleaz.com/buildingsa...nglish_000.pdf

Page 1 of the homeowners guide (above) would seem to have you locked in to obtaining a permit or face the consequences if caught w/o one. To my way of thinking (which carries no weight, its just an opinion), replacing existing window units with new energy efficient window units which fit the same rough opening w/o alteration should be a simple operation and no permit required since you are doing nothing to affect the structural stability of the building. I looked through the guide thinking i would find a list of work exempted from permitting and inspection process which I did. However I didn't find any words exempting replacement of exterior windows or doors, but I might have missed it.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

OK all is now under control.

I spoke with a city inspector and because of all the damage
        they have some latitude in the permits:

I can replace the windows without any permit providing there is no
        modification to any structure.

I can replace the damaged gutters without a permit providing they simply hang on the edge of the fascia.

I do not need a permit if the air conditioning is simply repairable, such as combing the damaged fins of the condenser coils..however if it has to be replaced.then a permit is required.

The roof is an interesting aspect. As long as I do not need to alter the roof deck or replace the deck and only need to replace defective tiles or shingles no permit is required...Again that means if any structure is effected I will need a permit.

The city is overloaded with many larger use permits and commercial permits and is easing the process to homeowners...

A giant sigh of relief here as I can do a lot of the repairs myself and get it done properly/safely/ cost effectively myself

Cactus Man
        Last edited by cactusman; 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

What possible justification can a municipality have in requiring a permit for replacing a drain trap? Next thing you know, they're going to be restricted for sale or import into the county, and you'll have Sting Operations in response to calls of shady guys dealing drain traps in dark alleys. "You need compression fittings for that, man?"

Comment

A permit is needed for everything in Albany, NY and they are clamping down hard if you don't have one. Along comes the building inspector with a stop work order which carries a minimum $300.00 fine plus court costs. If you have the permit in hand but start the job even a day earlier than the date on the permit - $300.00 fine. Replacement windows, reshingling roofs, residing - I am doing my first cement siding job, Hardiboard - and even storage sheds, regardless of size, need building permits. The process is pretty easy and the personnel are helpful but it is still a nusiance because you have to drive into the city and parking is tough. Does anyone know of any municipality where they have an on-line building permit process? That would be a great time saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
              A permit is needed for everything in Albany, NY and they are clamping down hard if you don't have one. Along comes the building inspector with a stop work order which carries a minimum $300.00 fine plus court costs. If you have the permit in hand but start the job even a day earlier than the date on the permit - $300.00 fine. Replacement windows, reshingling roofs, residing - I am doing my first cement siding job, Hardiboard - and even storage sheds, regardless of size, need building permits. The process is pretty easy and the personnel are helpful but it is still a nusiance because you have to drive into the city and parking is tough. Does anyone know of any municipality where they have an on-line building permit process? That would be a great time saver.
              Why is a permit needed for roofing? Right now, if I want a new roof, I hire someone to do it. What business does a town have when it comes to a roof?

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                What possible justification can a municipality have in requiring a permit for replacing a drain trap? Next thing you know, they're going to be restricted for sale or import into the county, and you'll have Sting Operations in response to calls of shady guys dealing drain traps in dark alleys. "You need compression fittings for that, man?"
                It is about control and revenue,
                fees, licences, permits, and many times even fines, are jsut back door taxes.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I did a roof this spring in a municipality outside Albany, NY where no permits are required to reshingle houses The job started as a roof repair I estimated 4-5 hours and $600.00 to fix some rotted plywood and put on a few shingles. Long story short the job ended up costing $13,800.00. There were 10 layers of shingles on the roof and I have pictures to prove it. I never saw or even heard of anything like it. Apparently the home owner had ripped off a few feet of shingles back up from the eves to make it look as though there was only one layer of shingles.

If a permit was issued, and the building department checked, someone would have caught the mess a long time ago. That was a dangerous situation. I am not an apologist for the permit system but in this case maybe it would have been a good thing.

Comment

Just as a follow up to my original post....

I have ordered Pella dual pane low-E vinyl windows.
                    The order is taking some time as I ordered their almond/beige color.

The installer arrived and the first window was "backwards"
                    I wanted them sliding from right to left.
                    He ordered them sliding from right to left.
                    The factory looked at his order and thought they were ordered viewing from the exterior..right to left....
                    Bottom line I should get all the windows replaced now at one time instead of phases...Pella is correcting their error no problem!

They did install one Pella temporarily as they had removed the old aluminum single pane window.

I really find it amazing how nicely they installed within the rough opening with minimal aggravation. They also look great!

I'm also very surprised as to how well the window works and how much warmer the room feels....maybe it's the placebo effect, but when I touch the window I do not feel the cold what so ever...
                    OK I'm in AZ but to me 45 degrees F above zero is now cold ha ha

Cactus Man

Comment

New quality vinyl windows work soooo well! Huge improvement over wood or aluminum frame windows.

But one thing you haven't mentioned is flashing. Using an installer is no guarantee that you'll get it flashed correctly - and I've seen a lot of missing or just plain wrong flashing installed with new windows. In low rain areas, some installers try to cheap out on the flashing. But it's the difference between a window that will be leak-free for a few years v. one that will be leak free, period. So make sure they're doing it right. You'll never see the leak until there's major damage inside the wall.

Sealant is not a substitute for proper flashing! Keep your installer honest!
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Years ago I was a pella C.P.C. [ certified Pella Contr. ] Overpriced and leak problems on Hills and water. MARVIN IS THE BEST WINDOW OUT THERE AND LESS $$ . Been to anderson's and Marvin's factory.
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                        X