X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masonite siding

I have what I believe to be Masonite siding my my house. It is 12" high and has "dutch cove". There are several places at butt joints where the joints have rotten and have begun falling apart. It this something that I can just cut out and replace with new? How should butt joints be treated? Left a little loose and caulked? I've attached a photo of the siding with a bad joint (it will have to be rotated). The joint in the picture is not the worst one...
    Attached Files

Re: Masonite siding

Yes, you can cut and replace. It is a tedious job, but it can be done. (Good luck in finding matching siding--unless you have some leftovers) They used to make a metal "T" joiner that could have a strip of caulking added inside that did a good job. I don't know if they are still available. (Too long retired) Moisture and Masonite siding do not get along very well.

Comment

they suggested this type of Z flashing in our area,

A type of flashing that protects horizontal joints between siding panels that do not overlap. Z-flashing is named for its Z-shaped profile which is designed to fit under the upper panel and overlap the lower one.

and on all cut edges seal the cut edge with a good caulk, and then paint,

the problem as you know is if the edge is open to the elements it will absorb water and swell and then fall apart/rot, and even that is not nessarly a total cure to the edge problem Masonite type siding has,
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BHD; 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        they suggested this type of Z flashing in our area,

A type of flashing that protects horizontal joints between siding panels that do not overlap. Z-flashing is named for its Z-shaped profile which is designed to fit under the upper panel and overlap the lower one.

and on all cut edges seal the cut edge with a good caulk, and then paint,

the problem as you know is if the edge is open to the elements it will absorb water and swell and then fall apart/rot, and even that is not nessarly a total cure to the edge problem Masonite type siding has,
        I'm not an expert but I can say, that can be a good replacement because we have that is our siding, and it looks good.
        Last edited by rotech; 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM.
        Water Damage | Water Damage Elgin IL

Comment

Working...
        X