which tool: washer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tool: washer

Please, experts, help: i would like to know which tool to use to drill hole in a brick wall for my dryer, please? thanks for reading!

Re: which tool: washer

the easy way would to have a core drill and just drill it out in one piece,

but a poor mans way is to to get a masonry bit that is long enough to go through the brick, and any other masonry, and say 1/4 to 3/8 in diameter of an inch, and then mark out the size you need, and go a little to the out side of the of the circle, for example if you have a 4" pipe, drill on a 4 1/4" circle and drill a hole ever 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch,
    (my reason for the slightly larger is if you drill just on the 4" circle, there is a lot more chiseling to clean it up to get the pipe though the hole, as the center sections between the holes do not always break in the middle, just try to keep the holes in or under the trim piece so some holes may need to be a little little closer to the circle to not be on the out side of the trim or hood).

closer if you can, and make a series of holes and then take a chisel and start breaking out the space between holes, some times if you cross drill at an angle it helps as well, if you have a hammer drill that has the chisel hammer feature (normally the dedicated hammer drill) not the combination drill driver, but any way drill and then beat out the center and clean up with a masons or a cold chisel and and then use a hole saw of the right size to drill the wood out, if you mix up some mortar to fill in around the pipe when done to seal up the brick around the pipe,
    some times drilling out the center of the hole with the drill to weaken it up helps, most brick is not that hard (in comparison to concrete), and will many times come fairly easily (for a rock type substance) and even a drill driver will usually handle the job,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thank you very much, bhd, for your very detailed instructions! now i'm having a big headache! hahaha! i read you generous explanations, but didn't fully get it... i will re-read it again tonight... thank you again very much for your time & generosity!

Comment

BHD is right on, but if you can, go by his first line. If you are near a place that rents tools, you can rent a core drill and save a lot of time, effort, and probably a few skinned knuckles.

Comment

this picture is in stucco but the idea is the same,

picture from, http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Pr...l-a-dryer-vent
          Attached Files
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            BHD is right on, but if you can, go by his first line. If you are near a place that rents tools, you can rent a core drill and save a lot of time, effort, and probably a few skinned knuckles.
            thank you very much pipestone kid! i googled for "core drill":
            http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&ex...w=1085&bih=561

wow, it's a big & professional tool!

i'm glad i found this wonderful forum! thanks!

Comment

this picture is in stucco but the idea is the same

thank you, bhd, for your devoted help & teaching! thank you also for these picture & link! i'm browsing that website right now : ...wow!

Comment

Working...
              X