Hardiplank over T-111 wafer board.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardiplank over T-111 wafer board.

I am looking at a foreclosed home that has LP lap siding on the front and LP T-111 on the sides/rears. The lap needs to be removed and the home resided. Most of the LP T-111 looks OK, just a few sheets need to be removed. My questions is, can you nail Hardiplank over wafer board T-111? If so, so do you need another membrane other than the Tyvek under the wafer board?

Thanks for your help.
    Charles

Re: Hardiplank over T-111 wafer board.

I don't see any reason you can't nail over the waferboard. The Hardie is nailed into the studs not the sheathing. Just Tyvec is OK. Once the Tyvec is on just draw plumb lines over the studs so you know where to nail. Do yourself a big favor and buy a siding nail gun. You can always sell the gun after you are done. Forget all about those roofing nailers. I use stainless steel nails.

When you have everything stripped to the sheathing you may want to check the insulation. If it is not up to par these is less disruption if you insulate from holes drilled in the outside of the building.

Comment

Re: Hardiplank over T-111 wafer board.

Thanks Tom, I know the home has Tyvek under the sheathing. You have several good points and since I am going to do the residing myself, I think I will just yank it all off and start from studs. I know the labor is more but the cost is only for new 7/16 osb ($400) and like you said, I get a change to look under it and check for problems.

Thanks
      Charles

Comment

Working...
      X