X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use for old thinset, mortar, cement

We've all had the experience of the half-used concrete mix or mortar under the workbench that turns into a giant rock in a paper sack after awhile.

These products have a shelf life, usually 12 months or thereabouts. However, if you notice clumps in your thinset... I wouldn't use it. At least not to set tile.

Another problem that many of us have is old cans of paint. What do you do with the stuff? In most areas, it's illegal to put in the trash as a liquid, and a pain to wait for it to dry to solid. If you leave it out to dry and forget about it, Murphy says it will rain and you'll have a king-sized mess to deal with.

There's stuff you can buy for a few bucks to harden a can of paint.

But... you can also use those questionable half-used sacks of mortar to harden up that paint. In fact, it's probably cheaper to buy a sack of cement than it is to buy the paint hardening stuff.

Just an idea I've been using, FWIW.

Re: Use for old thinset, mortar, cement

landfill sites will take the mortar...paint can be recycled into new paint for industrial/commercial uses

Comment

couple handfuls of cat litte in the paint dries it right out, cant be much cheaper than that

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
        couple handfuls of cat litte in the paint dries it right out, cant be much cheaper than that
        Yes kitty litter works good to, but every time my dog smells kitty litter paint she $hits blue for a week.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
          Great idea if you have a cat! Not as cheap as expired thinset though, if you have to run out to get some kitty litter!

Comment

In Canada Home Depot takes back all types of used paints for free....just drop it off at the returns desk in the "old paints buggy "....Push the US Home Depots to do the same!

Comment

Working...
            X