X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spray foam insulation on interior of steel building

what would cause a steel building that was sprayed with 2" of foam to "suck" the steel in after application?

Re: spray foam insulation on interior of steel building

I do not know if this is the cause or not, but my guess is the foam up against the tin set or dried slower than the surface, and in the same process shrunk more warping the tin,

just like a board drying out more on one side than the other,

years ago when foam was new, I worked on a project that had foam injected in the walls of a house, and we had to open up a wall after the fact, and the foam that had set had shrunk to where there was close to 1/2" at the studs and about 1/4" on the dry wall sides, this was the foam that later was said to off gas to much, have not been around much foam insulation since,

You many want to contact a lawyer first if you think the situation is such that compensation is in order, and see how to go about it. Also what type of agreement and fine print that is in the contract info.

I would call the foam contractor, and if it is a Franchise call the Franchise originator and see what they think,
    Last edited by BHD; 12-31-2010, 01:44 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

What BHD said - steel is gonna expand and contract - with the foam insulation, the rate was different on either side.
      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I'd like to here more on this if anyone has more to offer.
        Even if it's just assumptions as part of a general discussion.

I was thinking of spraying my Cargo trailer with Spray Foam.
        Now I'm not so sure.??????
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

A friend of mine did his van, the roof and sidewalls. You could walk on the roof and the sound deadening was amazing. Plus, the heater worked better too.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            What BHD said - steel is gonna expand and contract - with the foam insulation, the rate was different on either side.
            I don't know what caused the buckling described in the building, but very doubtful it was an expansion difference between steel and foam. The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 0.00000645/in/deg F. A 30 ft. section of steel will expand less than a 1/4" in a 100 degree temperature increase (.2322)

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              I do not know if this is the cause or not, but my guess is the foam up against the tin set or dried slower than the surface, and in the same process shrunk more warping the tin,
              Foam doesn't "dry out" over time...

The problem was probably the heat created. Foam is made by mixing two chemicals together 1:1, when the reaction occurs there is a ton of exothermic heat created...

What type of cladding are we talking about here, and how well was it anchored to the purlins?

Comment

are you sure it sucked the steel..or did it push the steel...too much foam can do alot of damage..in windows and doors even a low expansion foam can bind the opening...i've also had cases of bubbles forming inside layer of foam that for some reason i cant explain"pop" and the bubble will release and the foam will shrink pulling what its stuck to with it. did it suck the steel in everywhere or only in certain area's..i would have to blame this one on the installer if i had to take a guess

Comment

Spray foam better work.They're spraying everything just shy of the family cat in the recently burned out Montecito area.Hundreds of homes.Lots are using foam.If you are going to have it in your walls with plastic pipe make sure it is strapped,a shear wall squirted will push your pipe out.Now your digging cured insulation out the back of your now newly bowed pipe with a memory that won't let it go back easily.

Messy Chit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                    Foam doesn't "dry out" over time...

The problem was probably the heat created. Foam is made by mixing two chemicals together 1:1, when the reaction occurs there is a ton of exothermic heat created...

What type of cladding are we talking about here, and how well was it anchored to the purlins?
                    yes your correct it does not dry out, (OK to be more correct) it sets or cures, but but when sprayed it wet and sticky and after some time it is hard and dry, but for generic term I think drys out works,
                    It may have set/cured at different rates next to the tin and the side exposed to the air, or expanded at different rates is all I was trying to say,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X