X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Generator exhaust venting

Ok , I bought a Honda generator (sorry Ridgid ) and I would like to run it inside my 12x24 shed ..Reason being is I installed the plug for the generator inside off the sub panel and I have to run the cord outside under the garage door (I know I could rewire the plug outside)..I know it is safer to run it outdoors .. I was trying to leave it in place so I'm wondering if it would be ok to make an exhaust system do go through like wall like a direct vent? Only 1-11 siding..Plus I prefer to keep it out of the weather..Any suggestions or concerns as far as safety I should be aware of..I know the carbon monoxide thing could be an issue.Buy nobody will be in there while the generator is in use..I would also hate to burn the place down
    Last edited by OLD1; 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Honda Generator exhaust venting

(edit: I mis read some of your post, I think what I have said is applicable, but you said in a shed not in the garage, I read as if you wanted it in a an attached garage, sorry),

I have ran all of my generators inside a building, and over the years that has been a few different buildings, (none of mine were attached to the house), all were out buildings,

I would use a battery powered co monitor at all times if using the generator in an attached building

I put a exhaust pipe on them, (similar to what is on a car), on a frame building I put a sheet metal plate in the wall large enough to radiate any heat that builds on it and in the center of the single tin plate a hole for the exhaust pipe to run through,

I have done this with three different generators in two different buildings, the last building is concrete block and there I left out a block and put one in loose with the core through and put the pipe through that,,

now when you run a generator in a building you need a fresh air intake one for the engine and one to cool it, (at one time I had the large generator in the wood shop, and the easiest way to warm up the shop on a cold day was to start the generator and bring it up to temperature in a just a few mins the shop would be toasty,
    I have two doors and one window on the generator shed, and when running I open it up for a cross breeze, or just open it all up, if it is a blizzard, I have a large grill on the large door that I can open up to let air in and block some of the elements, the window is on the south side of the building and will usually have a suction on it,

depending on the cross venation you could put a box fan in a window when running the generator to keep cross flow and a negative ventilation effect on the building to keep any leaked CO out of the building or in concentrations that are not dangerous, (before REA, utility power), many farms had "engine rooms" or "engine blocks" and that was where the generator was installed for the house, we had one in our garage, the neighbors had a room off the basement that was the "engine room", and some had them in the basement, all that I know of were inside.

use extrema caution in fueling the generator, my fuel tanks were out side of the building and still are, (now I have converted the generators over to LP instead of gasoline, (they both can still run on gasoline, if need tho, but longer term storage of gasoline is some times difficult, using a sealed 60 gallon drum, filled to about 90%, (which if in incorporated area), is usually illegal and use PRI-g) one can store gasoline for a reasonable time, but propane is considered in a since forever,

have fire extinguishers capable of dealing with petroleum fire, and a couple of them,

having a generator is no more dangerous than having a furnace or a cook stove in the house, but to make it safe one needs to think through what is needed and do it in a way that is safe, (SINCE the current manufacturers normally would list the units as out side only, and have not added or Incorporated the safeties that would be normally include in a inside appliance,) one has to do that your self, (the question is some what like how do I use my out side BBQ or fire pit safely inside, it can be done but there are some major things one will have to do to make it safe),
    1. quality sealed exhaust pipe and ran exterior, and to where it will not recirculate back into the house,
    2. fresh air intake, and exhaust, (possibly forced, fans)
    3. fuel precautions, (exterior storage of fuel supply and tanks)(keep gasoline out of the building use a exterior supply tank) (diesel is less volatile and a day tank can be inside),
    4. enough room for ventilation and not over heating other items. (proper safety distances)

I have seen some people nearly eliminate the inside aspect of the generator by setting/bolting the unit out side on a concrete slab, and when not using putting what appears to be a dog house over it, it protects from the weather and theft, and still keeps it ready to use in nearly a moments notice, some hinge the dog house to tilt off or some just lift it off, some remove the roof depending on the design and the clearances of the dog house like building, think I saw a design the roof was keep in place but the walls all opened up,

I personally think for most the dog house Idea is probably the most practical for most people.

even tho I have had my generators set up in buildings I am not sure I would want them in an attached garage. I defiantly would not unless the fuel was removed out side of the building, and a proper exhaust system installed, (for one thing even tho there Honda's are quite, there still a lot of nosies),
    below is a picture of mine in the generator shed, (not part of the house)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Wow thanks BDH. The generator is in a garage/ shed well away from the house. The fuel is stored seperately as well. I was thinking to build a lean to outside. You brought up some very good safety concerns as well concerning ventilation co2 etc. What I will probably end up doing is build a covered shelter outside for it. Then just drill a hole and move the 240 twist lock receptacle outside .Then just roll it outside to the covered area on an as needed basis.The 3800 is not a small generator by any means but it has wheels and I can handle it fairly easy..That will probably be the safest way to handle my back up power..Basically just want to keep it covered and out of the weather when in use..Thanks again for all your input
      ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Saw your reply regarding the issue of extending out the exhaust of the Honda generator and running it in the shed. My issue is converting my EU6500is to propane, preferably dual fuel, but I found an enclosure exhaust system on ebay made by Generator-Line. Couldn't believe there is an after market producer of these things. But anyway, bought it and it works great. I run it in the shed out of weather, secure, and I exhausted it on the far side away from the cabin and I literally can't hear it. The issue was venting out the cooling air, so the systems come with an exhaust shroud which directs the engine cooling air out and a seperate adapter and flexible pipe for the exhaust. Pretty cool. Anyone know about propane conversions for the EU6500is? There are several on-line, but would like feedback on which works best for dual fuel conversion.

Comment

I had gone through the post. Generally some of the operation tips are there such as Run the generator at least once a month, Keep the generator dry, Always read the owner's manual before operating the generator, Give the generator plenty of space and many more tips are there. Could you please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.
          honda generator
          caravan accessories

Comment

Working...
          X