Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Gallon Wheelbarrow Air Compressor problem!

Anyone have any solutions to my problem?

when the compressor is running and the pump engages itself the compressor begins to... squeal like a dog in pain and then the engine struggles to run, it still builds air but seems to be getting worse... can't really describe it any better than that, any suggestions would be helpful. thanks
    Last edited by cryNshame; 03-14-2011, 09:07 PM.

Re: 9 Gallon Wheelbarrow Air Compressor problem!

Give us more to go on, how long have you been using this compressor, do you bleed it regularly, what kind of compressor oil do you use, do you keep the air intake filter clean, have you checked the belt tension?

Comment

The compressor is only about 2 months old i use it about everyday on the jobsite. I drain air daily and change oil weekly, engine (compressor oil sold at home depot) pump (sae 30 non-detergent). air filter is clean. inside the belt casing there is a lot of black shavings.

Comment

Originally posted by cryNshame View Post
        The compressor is only about 2 months old i use it about everyday on the jobsite. I drain air daily and change oil weekly, engine (compressor oil sold at home depot) pump (sae 30 non-detergent). air filter is clean. inside the belt casing there is a lot of black shavings.
        Even though it's still new enough to probably take back for replacement, I would suggest trying something first. The black shavings, and squeeling sound make me think it's either a loose or misaligned belt (pulleys), Take a spray water bottle and when the squeeling noise starts, give it a few sprays. If the noise goes away even for several seconds you located the area of the problem.

Now if that is the right spot, next step is to decide wheter you try and fix it, or throw back at Home Depot? Depending on which side of the belt is scraping, it should be easy to figure out where the problem is and how to fix it. A quick stop at any small engine repair shop, should also lead to a simple, quick and inexpensive fix if it's just the belt. Please post back and let us know what happens. Frank

Comment

May be best to take to a authorized repair place, since it is under warranty, or even try to take it back to the store and see if they will exchange it,
          if your intent on working on it your self,
          take the line off the compressor to the tank and see if there is any thing in the line where it goes into the unloader, (I had a compressor {not Ridgid}that did some what similar, a price of gasket was partly plugging the out let on the unloader and was building much pressure in the head), If that is completely clear take off the head and see if there is any thing wedged against the piston, the unloader may be faulty,

most likely the squeal is the belt slipping, since the engine is lugging down your having a lot of resistance, doubt if it only a loose belt,

I would take it to a service center if that is possible, or back to the HD were you got it.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My first instinct is that you're hearing a squelling belt. When the compressor comes under load, there is much more resistance to the motor, and that is what it sounds like.

Your notice of "black shaving" in the belt area is a pretty good sign that something is causing premature deterioration of the belt. That can be as simple as inproper belt tension, but noticeable lugging would indicate that the cause may well be within the compressor.

As suggested by BHD and Franki, I would either return the unit to Home Depot or get it to your nearest service center ASAP. You mention that you've only had this about two months or so. Personally, I'd check my receipt date, and if it was still within the 90-day Satisfaction Guarantee, I'd return it for replacement! (Ridgid has a 90-day "Satisfaction Guarantee" and Home Depot also has a 90-day "return policy", which also should cover the return.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know i can return it except this is the second one i have exchanged at home depot the first one did the exact same thing as this one is doing now and I need the compressor dont have a back up one. so i am reall just looking for a quick fix.

some one said resistance yes the engine slows when the pump comes engage. sounds like motor is struggling can anyone go into more detail why it may be doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by cryNshame View Post
                Thanks for all the suggestions. I know i can return it except this is the second one i have exchanged at home depot the first one did the exact same thing as this one is doing now and I need the compressor dont have a back up one. so i am reall just looking for a quick fix.

some one said resistance yes the engine slows when the pump comes engage. sounds like motor is struggling can anyone go into more detail why it may be doing that?
                It's normal to lose some rpms as the compressor builds pressure, you are looking in the wrong place in my opinion. Right now you need to eliminate the belt as the cause of the squealing since you mentioned shavings from the belt in an earlier post.

Determine if the belt, pulleys are lose or misaligned, once that it out of the picture then move on to something else. Correct me if I'm wrong but when I asked about compressor oil, you responded with the sae 30 motor oil? You do know the two are separate right? Even if you are not low on compressor oil, for the future there are synthetic compressor oils that might prolong the life of your unit. Please get look into the belt and if need be get a new one to compare them side by side to see if the old one is worn from slipping or chafing.

Comment

DING! took it to home depot and it was a broken unloader thanks people for you posts

Comment

I didn't see that one coming! Live and learn, thanks for filling us in. Good luck with the new one. Frank

Comment

Working...
                    X