X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheetrock cracking

I have a place in Colorado that is having some problems with cracking Sheetrock and sticking doors. The place is about three years old. Is this normal?
    Thanks
    Mike

Re: sheetrock cracking

Is the place climate controlled all year? I'm thinking humidity issues at best or foundation issues at worst.

Comment

Wood drying out?

Comment

if you do not keep the house tempered then you will have this .when the day is damp then gets dry it will crack at the joints .
        my sister has a summer house in upstate NY and she keeps the heat at 45* all winter and the house does not smell all musty .
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Where are the sheet rock cracks and where is the door sticking? (top? )
          A pic or two would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Where are the sheet rock cracks and where is the door sticking? (top? )
            A pic or two would help.
            I agree, in this case a picture is worth a thousand words. You could be facing problems with the house settling or possible problems with the foundation for any number of reasons.

Comment

I love how immediately you guys are going on about foundations when you haven't seen any pictures...

If the lumber used to build the home was wet (left in the rain for a week), the house was framed, and drywalled quickly, then you could see these same problems.

Builders should be keeping their lumber dry, or allowing the wood to dry out and shrink before drywalling...

Comment

I agree about the pictures, unfortunately I'm in Florida and haven't seen pictures myself yet. The renter e-mailed about the situation. She doesn't own a digital camera. I'll try to get some of our friends over to get pictures tomorrow.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                  I agree about the pictures, unfortunately I'm in Florida and haven't seen pictures myself yet. The renter e-mailed about the situation. She doesn't own a digital camera. I'll try to get some of our friends over to get pictures tomorrow.
                  Mike
                  is some one living there all the time
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                    is some one living there all the time

Yes.

Comment

Carpenter ants (Camponotus species) are the largest ants that occur in Colorado (1/4-3/8 inch. I think it is wise to perimeter treat all homes near wooded areas with the proper insecticide on a regualr basis. You can guess the house was built with damp wood, but after three years and people living there the problem of cracking sheetrock and doors binding would have been resolved. I think the house has either settled or has foundation issues! Harmless settling is easily resolved, insect infestation needs to be ruled out before major damage is done. Is there a basement or crawlspace that can be examined? Is the home part of a development and if so do other homes have similar problems?

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                        I love how immediately you guys are going on about foundations when you haven't seen any pictures...

If the lumber used to build the home was wet (left in the rain for a week), the house was framed, and drywalled quickly, then you could see these same problems.

Builders should be keeping their lumber dry, or allowing the wood to dry out and shrink before drywalling...
                        Did you see the rain? I didn't, but it is possible it happened--just like the other posters said it is possible that there is a foundation problem. But, if the wood was that wet, then shrunk and cracked the sheet rock, wouldn't the doors shrink, too?

Comment

when i was doing new construction. most of our wood framed jobs were 3 and 4 story.

we had to allow for 1.5-2'' of shrinkage when installing our pipes. believe me it happens when the wood is fresh and then things dry out over the course of occupancy.

i had a 4 story that i went back to 15 years later and the copper looked like it was installed zig zag up the walls. we did not do the original plumbing there, but i can tell you they did not properly allow for the shrinkage factor.

i'll see if i can dig up some photos that i had posted a year or so ago.

drywall does have a shear rating. nowhere like plywood, but it is rated.

is the wall shearing or are the taped joints just showing straight lines from bad joints.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                            Did you see the rain? I didn't, but it is possible it happened--just like the other posters said it is possible that there is a foundation problem. But, if the wood was that wet, then shrunk and cracked the sheet rock, wouldn't the doors shrink, too?
                            what is happened in lumber the last 20+ or so years, is the construction grade lumber is not dried in the way lumber was once dried,

the lumber is S dry, or surface dry, the inside of the lumber my still be very wet, and still in the process of drying, and can be 19% yet, thus that is one reason the lumber is so so twisted and warped many times as it is not cured or dried out yet,

when a house is built with this lumber it is still shrinking and can cause many problems, the doors and such should have come in dry, to what they should be,
                            and if the framing was wet by rain or other the problem could be greater,
                            but I would think that this type of cracking would show up before three years of age,

I would think it would show up in the first year of the houses existence,

~~~~~~~~~~~~

some locations of Colorado have very expansive soils, and could cause some problems,
                            My neighbor come from an area that had very expansive soils and when he built here he did some things I had never seen done before so the basement floor could move up and down over an inch or two, with out effecting the walls, and pushing the main floor up, (they had two bottom plates with a 20d or 30d nail driven through to keep them spaced, and the wall hung from the floor above it, (was not needed in our sand), but he said that was the way to do it up there),

called a floating basement wall,

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/b...-basement-wall

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/fl...t-walls-43665/

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/f...alls-basement/
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BHD; 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD, I think you hit my point--if the wood was wet enough to take three years to shrink, some of that moisture would have transfered to the wood of the doors etc. Usually, when things shrink, (doors for example) they dont stick.
                              P.S. Slip walls are quite common around here, especially in log homes. (You really see shrinkage there)

Comment

Working...
                              X