Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall sizes and door framing sizes

Ok, I am am new here so please excuse me being somewhat ignorant
    about construction standards. I am building a new house and on the plans, there are hallways that are 3' 6" wide and there is a 36" door at the end of one of these hallways. The casing is 3 1/4" wide, is the hallway wide enough that the casing will fit around the door or should the hallway be made wider. I don't know how wide casings should be around a door as I see there are many different sized casings. I also don't know how wide a hallway should be. Can anyone educate me on this?

Re: Hall sizes and door framing sizes

3' 6" is a generous width for a hallway. Remember, the wider the hallway is the more square footage you are removing from the adjoining rooms. a 3' 0" door is pretty big for an internal door as most are 30" or 32". Where does this 3' 0" door lead, outside? You would be better off cutting the size of the door to accommodate the trim rather than making the hallway wider.

Comment

The doors are required by code in our county to be 36" wide unless it is a closet door, the door in question is a bedroom door. What about the casing for the door. Will there be enough room for the 36" door and the 3 1/4" casing around in in a 3' 6" wide hallway. thanks for replying

Comment

Naomi, with a 36" door you do not have enough room for 3-1/4" wide casing in your 3'-6" (42 inch) hallway. The total for this casing (1 piece on each side) is 6-1/2", so it won't fit. Also, don't forget that you typically need 1/4" of reveal on the jamb for it to look right (or to accommodate rosettes or whatever else may be at the top of the door), so this brings the total width of the out to at least 43 inches. It is actually bound to be worse than this, because the framers won't get the door perfectly centered. Even if you just miter the casing with no rosettes, it won't look right without the small jamb reveal.

If I were you I would check the requirement for a 36" door width carefully. 36" min is typical for entry doors but I haven't seen that for interior doors. Not saying you're wrong, just suggesting you check since that is a very wide interior door. I have the same experience as Killavolt... 32" is pretty common, with 30" in smaller areas - although that's very inconvenient for moving furniture in and out.

If you're able to make the hall wider, great. Your 3'-6" hall is fine for an interior hallway but IMO not nearly large enough if it's an entry hall. Keep in mind that hallways need to be big enough, but if they're too wide this steals usable space from the rooms.

Many mouldings are available in different sizes. You may be able to find the same style as your 3-1/4" in 2-1/2". I was able to do this to case windows - I used the smaller "version" in order to clear the crown molding, while retaining the same look as the door casings which used the larger size.

Finally, I try to avoid little narrow strips of wall showing on either side of casing. It makes it a pain to paint... you have to take the casing down, paint the wall and casing separately and then put it back up.
        Last edited by Andy_M; 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

saw the trim to fit, if necessary,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            saw the trim to fit, if necessary,
            I do that all the time...and just in case the walls or door are not dead plum you can hide it with the trim.
            Down here most walls are cast concrete and are usually off just a tad

Comment

I checked the county codes with the building dept. 36" doors for exit/entry only are required. The rest is up to me, i'm going with 32" and 30" and 2 1/2" casing. I have another question. The back wall and left
              side wall of the garage is connected to the house and rooms share
              those walls. Do the garage walls have to be all concrete block or just
              the exterior walls not shared by interior rooms. In my old house the
              shared walls were just regular drywall and the exterior concrete block,
              the house is 30 years old, just not sure if that's changed.

Comment

Check your local codes--codes vary around the country.

Comment

Typically shared walls between garage and living space must be fire rated. This is usually met with 5/8" drywall and an exterior metal door. Also if the garage and living space are on the same level there must be a concrete curb under the wall and door (This is to prevent flammable liquids from seeping under the wall and into the living space.

But check with you local building official for specific requirements.

Comment

Working...
                  X