X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Rafters

I have a two car garage 20' wide by 22' long with 7' tall 2X4 side walls. It has a 4/12 pitch hip roof that's about 22' X 24' counting the overhangs. I insulated & covered the walls with 1/2” OSB, Now I'm planning to frame in a ceiling & finish insulating the garage.

Being that the walls are only 7' tall & I need clearance for the garage door anyway I would like to make the whole ceiling height a little over 8' tall so I can flip a 8' piece of stock without hitting the ceiling.

My plan is to run 16' long 2”X 6”' ceiling rafters from side to side (20' dimension) coming off the roofs rafters which would get me the height I want. Then I would tie the 2X6 ceiling rafters in with the 2X6 roof rafters using 2X4's in a truss like manner.

My concern is being that the ceiling would be supported only by the roof rafters & not the side walls would this put too much load on the roof.

Re: Ceiling Rafters

Are the cieling rafters not sitting on the plates

Comment

I haven't done this yet just asking if it can be done! It's about 20' from wall to wall so the 16' 2x6's would have to be placed about 2' up along the rafters from the side wall.

So no the ceiling rafters would not be sitting on the plates! That's my concern!

It would be like making the top 2/3's of the roof's rafters into trusses, So the roofs new truss/rafters would now also be carrying the the weight of the ceiling.

I'll attach a drawing of what I was thinking about.
      Attached Files

Comment

Are you planning on scabbing the new trusses to the existing ones?
        It would seem that you would be changing the design of the roof
        as well, from a hip to a gable. Perhaps a side view of your proposed
        change would help. At this point it looks like permit city.

Comment

I see no problem with your Idea, but it may be just as easy in the long run to insulate the space in between the rafters, and if you want sheet it with a thin sheeting (cut the weight some), that way you would have over 8 foot, ceiling,

Personally this what I would do in your situation, my shop currently is a old wood framed building, and has one collar joist that support the roll up door rails (built some what like a truss), and the rest in that area are just hand sawed rafters, (no collar joists) but that one collar rafter sure is in the way a lot when flipping materials and it is 9 foot hight, I do not know what I would do with out the other open spaces, now on one end (once there were two rooms on one end of the building) and there is old ceiling and floor(I have removed the wall) and with a few posts to support it, but that is where the bulk of my shop lumber storage is, and since it is not above the saws its lower ceiling level is not in the way, I really like the storage area there, it could be some thing that could be Incorporated into a building like yours,

and when dealing with 8 foot materials you will want more than an 8 foot ceiling, (from experience), 9 foot would be minimal IMO, if you want to go with a flat ceiling.

Good luck on your shop,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
            Are you planning on scabbing the new trusses to the existing ones?
            Not really scabbing because it's currently just a frame (stick built) roof, What I was thinking about would be sort of like making the original roof rafters into trusses. My concern “like you pointed out” is would it change the roofs load rating. I'll try to come up with a side view!

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              I see no problem with your Idea, but it may be just as easy in the long run to insulate the space in between the rafters, and if you want sheet it with a thin sheeting (cut the weight some), that way you would have over 8 foot, ceiling,
              That's basically my plan “B” option, Although it may not be any easier because of needing to cut more angles in the sheathing where the hip ridges meet.

and when dealing with 8 foot materials you will want more than an 8 foot ceiling, (from experience), 9 foot would be minimal IMO, if you want to go with a flat ceiling.
              I'll have about 8' 6” which should be good enough to flip say an 8' 2X10 by setting one end on the floor & going end for end. Now 4” X 8' sheet goods would be a little more challenging.

Good luck on your shop,
              Thanks
              Doug

Comment

There is no problem in what you want to do. The "ceiling rafters" as you call them, are known as collar ties. The design you are talking about is very common and will work just fine. No problem with "ceiling" load.

Comment

I was familiar with the term collar ties in a Gable Roof but I wasn't sure that's what they were called in a Hip Roof. I figured the center Common Rafters would be ok, But being the Ceiling Rafters/Collar Ties on the front & back would be going from Jack Rafter to Jack Rafter is what I wasn't sure of.

Thanks
                  Doug
                  Last edited by Dwall174; 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I read too fast--missed the hip roof part. BUT, that is all the better. A hip roof is the strongest roof you can get. You could put a bulldozer up there and it would hold it. No problem tying into the jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                      Perhaps a side view of your proposed
                      change would help.
                      I made up some better drawings with Sketch Up that should show a little better what I'm planing.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                        No problem tying into the jacks.
                        Thanks Again

One more question! Being that the common rafters are 2X6's I was planning on also using 2X6's for the 16' Collar Ties & tying them into the roofs rafters with 2X4's. Do you think this would be ok or should I use 2X8's.

Comment

2x6 is fine. All they are carrying is the ceiling. And by tying to the rafters, the roof is carrying them as well.

Comment

You might consider putting styrofoam "air baffles" in the sloped part to allow for ventilation, so moisture inside the shop in the winter doesn't make its way through to the cold sheathing surface and condense. Can be a real problem. Not a good idea to block off the rafter bays with insulation.

Nice sketchup drawings by the way. Was it hard to learn?

Comment

Originally posted by Homepro View Post
                              You might consider putting styrofoam "air baffles" in the sloped part to allow for ventilation.
                              I've already installed soffit baffles when I insulated the walls last fall! Being the garage was not insulated before there was no roof ventilation! I'm also going to install two roof vents, and a couple of air inlet vents up under the front overhang.

Nice sketchup drawings by the way.
                              Thanks!

Was it hard to learn?
                              As far as hard to learn, I can't really say because I'm still learning it my self. The basic little bit I have learned is from the tutorials & tips that come with the download. It's a Free download so there's nothing to loose! Also there's a lot of free tips on Google just search for Sketch-Up Tips or Tutorials.

Comment

Working...
                              X