X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to support a 6 foot wide soffit

I am finishing my basement and need to frame a soffit to cover supply and return hvac ducting, and a steel I beam. the width of the soffit is 6 feet and the 2 ducts are butted tight together so I am trying to figure out a way to support the bottom cross beams to keep them from sagging. There are 2 3" pvc pipes running between the ducting and the I beam for the furnace. Any ideas?

Re: How to support a 6 foot wide soffit

Have you considered a product such as kindorf? That would give you all the support necessary, and you could use various methods to enclose for a finish look. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/str.../N-8aiZ1z0qkw1

Sorry, I should explain in more detail. Threaded rod is secured to your ceiling beams on either side of the area to be supported. A ridgid channel (kindorf) or angle iron perhaps is secured across the width of the span.
    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-17-2011, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Jimbo, you don't say how much headroom you have. If you have enough, a 2x4 on edge would do just fine--if not, there are other alternatives. Let us know what restrictions you have.

Comment

I have 84" to the bottom of the I beam but I am really trying to maximize headroom. It would certainly work but I was hoping to find a lower profile option.

Comment

Kindorf looks like a viable option. Do you suppose I could use 1 x 3 furring strips across the bottom of the channel and hang drywall from there?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo770 View Post
            Kindorf looks like a viable option. Do you suppose I could use 1 x 3 furring strips across the bottom of the channel and hang drywall from there?
            Yes! You could also do the 2x4 on edge method as mentioned and sheetrock over. Depends on how much support, but either way should be fine. Take some pictures to show us. If you might need access, consider some kind of paneling instead, and screws.

Comment

I dont need access so there is no problem there. How wide could I go with a 2 x 4 on edge? It would be the easiest way to go but cost me 4" with drywall, and I was hoping to headroom in this area because it is right in the middle of the family room to be.
              Attached Files

Comment

Go to a drywall supply house. Learn about tin cans [ metal studs ]
                I'd go with Hi Hats. You are about to get a good education in tin can
                solutions! Good luck
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ah, TGI's... I wish builders would just use engineered trusses with pre-engineered mechanical shafts.... its 2011...

Anyway, as you can tell, I hate sofets, and can't grasp the penny pinching of todays builders who could for a small cost use trusses that eliminate all needs for worthless sofets.

You could use a 2x3 on edge, 16" OC and would be ok. Definitely wouldn't go over 16oc though. Also, if you go with a low sag drywall that can help as well. Another option would be to use 2x4 studs flat under the mechanical (make sure you leave 1/2" or so, you don't want expansion noises) and attach angle iron to the sides to stiffen them up, but still have the ease of having wood to nail it all together and being able to drywall it normally as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, I found a system by chicago metallic called SpanFast that will allow 6 foot span without any support and it's only 1 9/16" deep, so I'm going to give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                    X