X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powered tool to thread a rod in the field

I am looking for a tool that can be used on a work site to cut threads in a MS hot rolled 7/16" dia. rod 14 threads per inch, battery powered would be ideal, if not what is the best die to use to make it easy to create this threaddoes such a tool exist?

Thanks

Re: Powered tool to thread a rod in the field

A battery powered tool such as you seek would eat batteries like candy.
    However, bolt dies should be available which along with a portable generator and a pony or pipe machine would do what you want.

Is this something that has to be threaded in place or is this random lengths of round stock like hanger rod that you will cut to length and thread the ends?

From what I see RIDGID does not offer a 7/16-14 die.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Manual-T...-And-Bolt-Dies

You can look here for their line of threading machines both portable and stationary
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-Thr...n/EN/index.htm
    Last edited by Bob D.; 04-30-2011, 05:52 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

bob believe it or not a battery powered hand held threader does exist. i've used one myself. threads from 1/2'' - 1'' possibly 1.25'', i can't remember.

i was impressed with the machine, but couldn't see an application for it in the field.

of course who needs any powered threading machines, when i can hand cut, ream, thread and screw a 1'' pipe in 66 seconds

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thankyou for your replies, the hand threaded die option is a bit tedious, a powered tool would be the easiest solution. Do you know how were I find out if such a tool is still avaiable and were to start looking.

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          bob believe it or not a battery powered hand held threader does exist. i've used one myself. threads from 1/2'' - 1'' possibly 1.25'', i can't remember.

i was impressed with the machine, but couldn't see an application for it in the field.

of course who needs any powered threading machines, when i can hand cut, ream, thread and screw a 1'' pipe in 66 seconds

rick.
          Ok, who makes it and where can we find something on the web about it.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

I do not know how many you want to thread or how deep you want to thread, but there are Die holders that look like a pipe with a shank on the end that one can find from machine tool supply companies, (right now the two I usually deal with are down web page)
            http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/14647/

but if one had one you could most likely use a quality 1/2" right angle drill to run it,

a self opening unit would be nice if your doing a lot no need to reverse,

like all ready said one may be able to use a power threader and the proper die,

the biggest problem I think one will have a hand die usually does not have the ability to properly clear the chips in the way that a powered unit needs, a powered head usually has more clearance to help dump the chips,

the first picture is a self opening when the proper depth is reached the die opens so one does not have to revers to remove and has the clearances to dump chips,

the second picture is of a simple holder that uses a hand die,

on hot rolled your tolerances my very so the larger the die you can use the better IMO and may have to grind the rod to a semi point to get them to start to thread,

some stationary pipe threaders one can get bolt dies for as well,

and then they make rod or bolt threaders as well, that is a machine similar to pipe threader, (could check with a used machine tool dealer),
            Attached Files
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              Ok, who makes it and where can we find something on the web about it.
              bob, it's a prototype machine and was shown to a select few.

remember it's not what you know, it's who you know

i would think if there was a market for it, it would be on the market

you know how to find me

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

theres a market but maybe not a big enough one to warrant producing the tool. i can think of a couple times when we could have used one where i work. cordless tools are always a plus when you are working in cramped areas and its difficult to bring in power in the form of air or electric for tools.
                ---------------
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

I made a die stock that fits in my cordless drill, I made it short it only thresds about 2". I will get a pic up when I dig it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X