X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating 3 season roon floor

We are thinking of insulating the floor of our 3 season room. Its not designed to be used year round but we were thinking that some insulation under the deck would maybe get us another couple weeks of use. Currently the floor is 3/4" T&G exterior grade plywood with 16x16x1/4" thick vinyl tiles with grouted in joints.

What's a good choice for insulation material keeping in mind that under the deck/sunroom is open to the wx. I was thinking of closed cell stryofoam 2" thick.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: Insulating 3 season roon floor

You didn't say if the area is visible under normal circumstances. If not I would use sprayed on foam. If it is visible, 2" styro would be a good choice.

Comment

It's low enough to the ground that its not readily visible, but its also low enough to make it a PITA to spray, only ~20" above grade.
      I think I will cover the ground with some plastic sheeting to keep moisture down from the ground and cover that with some river stone for looks and to keep the sheeting down. That should keep weeds from getting a foothold and knock down any ground moisture. Then put a double thickness of 2" Dow insulation board (the blue stuff) in the joist bays up against the bottom side of the sub-floor with no air gap between them to collect moisture. The sides are not closed in so air moves through (under) the room easily.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

In praise of Hi-R.

My own, personal project: room in an older home over a crawl,& I do mean crawl, space. Removed existing, useless fiberglass batts to install 1" HI-R tight to the underside of the floor( yes, it's old enough that there is no sub-floor just 1 1/4" x 12" pine), with 2" Dow Blue beneath. Sheet of poly over the dirt as vapor barrier.

That Hi-R really does make a big difference.

Comment

Yes I agree with above. Several ways to do these. We have also installed 2" Styrene up against the floor, sealing all seams, then fiberglass with vapor barrier applied. Spray foam is a real good way as well. Good luck.
          GregC, President/Founder of Quick Belt System
          www.quicktoolbeltsystem.com

Comment

Working...
          X