X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• addition to existing garage

Attachment Attachment Attachment hello every 1, last yr i finished a existing garage to a bdrm all went well but now it feels cramped so i would like to extend the garage out 15x12 i have the subfloor down and as in my pictures i have a 2x4x8 leeaning on the wall where i removed the siding however as u can se at this height i can not get a raftr on top of a top plate. should i (1) lower the walls to 7foot 6inches add my top plate and rafter(dont mind this area being a little lower) BUT HATE to have to rip everything... OR (2) can i extend the 2x4x8 out past the exsiting eves so i can keep my 8 foot walls? i added some pics to give an idea
    i dont mind a flat deck roof i know to put firing cut for a slight slope just cant find any carpenters in my area to disscuss this im in rural ky and dont need to pull any permits just need to have some ideas to gtt this done as simple as possible. thanks for any advice in advance...
    Attached Files

Re: addition to existing garage

IMO I would remove the soffit and trim on the existing roof and most likely you will be able to put your plate on the wall, (I would try to match the existing roof IMO I think it would look better), IF bird-mouths are not cut out of the rafters one could easly cut one so the plate sets up under the rafter nice and tight and solid, to the wall.)
    (I would most likely have keep things in line with the out side wall of the garage and not the offset), but that is me,

build the wall and slide it into the building under the existing roof over hang,

one may not be 100% at 8 foot but match the existing is what I would think should be done,

(not trying to cause problems, but I do not see a foundation, and if it is wood in contact with the earth, I would be using treated lumber at least), I most likely would use treated lumber that close to the ground regardless, (one would need to use heavy galvanized nails or Stainless Steel in the treated lumber),
    (or just pour a slab of concrete)
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

yes i did raise the subfloor off ground with deck blocks i used treated 2x6 across the dek blocks to raise and i put water barrier on inside on the ground stapled to the 2x6 . my problem was i dont want to build the walls with out knowing if the roof would fit then have to work backwards cutting down th size of my walls and having to rip everything to acomadate this change i would like to keep th 8 ftt walls thanks for the idea to notch my rafter eo slip over top plate this should help with the space.

Comment

only one response to "NEW GARAGE ADDITION " WHAT NO ONE ELSE HAS AN IDEA THX....

Alot of people here but i guess no one with ideas.....

Comment

Tear that wood foundation out and pour a concrete slab with footings. Then build up and over the existing structure letting the new structures roof extend over the existing. This will prevent any leaks between the two and allow you to raise yo ceiling.

Comment

Re: only one response to "NEW GARAGE ADDITION " WHAT NO ONE ELSE HAS AN IDEA THX....

Originally posted by clo View Post
            Alot of people here but i guess no one with ideas.....
            I would imagine the majority would say tear out that on-grade floor and do it proper with footings and a slab before you go any further.

Comment

Re: only one response to "NEW GARAGE ADDITION " WHAT NO ONE ELSE HAS AN IDEA THX....

Bit the bullet. rip out wood deck, that will rot in time! Conc. slab with footers with anchor bolts. widen if You can2 ft each side. this will give nice view to rear yard, and light. Also have the roof step up and add some more narrow glass under rafters at rear gable. sky lights will be enjoyed also. If been building 48 Years now, and have a feel for what is practical and pleasing to the Heart. good luck!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X