X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to cut concrete metal bar?

My old poured concrete basement wall have many small metal bar. I want to cut them and seal them with cement. I tried grinder. The sparks fly all over the place and smell no good. i don't like that way. Is there a better way to cut them?
    Attached Files

Re: how to cut concrete metal bar?

Cable saw. Ever saw Shawshank?

J.C.

Comment

Did you use the thin cut off wheel?That or a torch

Comment

They look like wall ties. You may not like cutting them with a grinder, but it is the easiest way. Use a 4" grinder with a thin disk (.040 thick). If you use a torch be careful the concrete can spall & fly all over the place. I've never tried a multi-tool with a metal blade, but it would probably work slower. Then patch with hydraulic cement. If you are having a water problem they are sticking out the other side of the wall also & were not properly sealed.

Comment

You can hit them with a hammer a few times and they will break right off. Wear safety glasses.

Comment

bolt cutters won't get in close enough.

like they said, a 4.5'' grinder with the thin cut off wheels would work great. just protect your eyes /face and floor from sparks.

have you tried a mini sledge to see if they will snap off or just bend. maybe a small grinder cut and then snap them off. even a tight fitting pipe over the end will give you some leverage.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Once you cut, grind or snap them off, think about using an epoxy grout product rather than a cement for sealing them. Rough up the concrete area with the grinder, and get the steel below flush. Epoxy grout will stick much better on old concrete than any portland-cement based stuff. Lone Star and others make epoxy grouts for concrete repair.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                You can hit them with a hammer a few times and they will break right off. Wear safety glasses.
                at least most ties I dealt with they should break off just under the surface of the wall, whack them back and forth bending them sideways, they usually have a weak spot in them to break at, then fill the holes, as suggested,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  at least most ties I dealt with they should break off just under the surface of the wall, whack them back and forth bending them sideways, they usually have a weak spot in them to break at, then fill the holes, as suggested,
                  . If they are snap ties that is true, but I don't think they are I can't tell from the pictures.Even if they are there is not enough tie left to snap unless you cut it a little. We just cut it all the way with a grinder when they don't break right just faster then playing with it.

Comment

Those aren't modern snap ties.

Banging them back and forth is only going to break away concrete at the same time.

Use a grinder. End of story.

Comment

Working...
                    X