X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residing home

I am starting to reside my home. It currently has LP lap in the front and lp t-111 on the other sides. I will be removing the lp lap, removing and replacing any damaged sheating and installing Hardie Plank on the whole home. On the other sides I have removed all the damaged lp-t11 and replaced it with new sheathing. What I want to know is can I just cover the old lp t-111 that is still in good condition with house wrap then hang the Hardie Plank. The lp t-111 is 7/16" on 16" stud centers.

Thanks
    Charles

Re: Residing home

Hello there, Yes you can replace what is needed, house wrap and Hardie Plank right over the T-111. Be sure T-111 is nailed securely, or else be sure to nail new Hardie into studs direct. Good luck, hope this helped.
    GregC, President/Founder of Quick Belt System
    www.quicktoolbeltsystem.com

Comment

On the LP siding panels that you are not going to replace make sure you take a good look at the bottom 6'' or so there is often damage that is not easily seen. On the Panel horizontal seams where there is a second floor is another area that may have some damage going on that is not easily seen.
      The old LP will work just fine for sheathing behind the hardie when the rot is cut out, just approach it as a new siding job with the proper flashings, flexible flashing around the windows and the details hardie list in the Hz10 manual.
      Good Luck
      Cheers
      DCT Siding

Comment

The only thing to really take a look at aside from the previously mentioned dry rot and flashing recommendations is to make sure that whatever you install still will sit below or flush to the trim around the windows. It will look terrible for your new siding to stick past the windows.
        We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Well I am almost half way done. I decided to do the two tall sides first since they were the back and any mistakes would not be as noticable. I have cut out and replaced any old sheathing probably about 200 sq ft. I discovered that the wrap must be the new style so water that gets underneath can drain out the bottom. I am using Hydro Wrap which is in smaller widths but since it is two parts are a pain in any wind to install. The home will look like a new home outside when I am done. I have been taking pictures and will upload when I get a chance.
          Charles

Comment

Glad the project is going well,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I just completed a similar project. We bought a foreclosure home last Sept. One of the first things to be redone was new doors. A set of out swing French doors on the back went in first. Not too bad, a little old termite damage and some minor rot to the rim joists. The new front door was another story. When I took off the 1x6 trim board under the door, I could see clear thru into the crawl space. Lots of termite and rot. oh yeah, did I mention the active carpenter ants? I ripped off the aluminum siding to expose the ants and killed them. Our house is a late 70's modular. It had 1/8" Denny Board sheathing with 3/4" Styrofoam on top.
              In preparation for new windows and siding, I took the entire exterior down to bare studs and put 41 sheets of 5/8" OSB on it. This gave me a chance to inspect the insulation and wiring and fix any issues. Without a doubt, best thing I could have done.
              It sounds like you are definitely on the right track. You will be able to sleep better when it's done knowing that you did the work and it was done right. I know i do.

Comment

I have quit for the winter, we had a short summer this year. I have about 90% done and I had to spend about 20% of my time correcting,repairing problems.

Thanks
                Attached Files
                Charles

Comment

very nice looking job
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Looks great!!
                    Except for the prep work, we had ours contracted out. Mainly because of the lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship. Plus, each phase was done in a day. We only have a 1200 sq ft, single story house so it was an easy job.
                    Really like the color choice. It goes real well with the landscaping and the style of the house.

Comment

Here are some before pictures of the home we purchased in March. It was one ugly pink and purple trimmed home. It was empty for almost a year before we purchased it. We worked on it a month just to clean the inside (all new paint, furnace,ac,carpet.) before we could live in it. Oh, the tar paper on the chimney chase covers woodpecker holes.
                      Attached Files
                      Charles

Comment

Working...
                      X