learning material

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning material

Hi guys, I am not a pro by no means but I'm also the stuborn guy who doesnt like to spend money if I can do something myself. I am looking for a book or series of books, maybe even dvds that can teach me some things about carpentry. Like how high a standard shower head should be plummed for or how to install a tub or how to hang cabinets. Thanks for any help

Re: learning material

Originally posted by DIRKS View Post
    Hi guys, I am not a pro by no means but I'm also the stuborn guy who doesnt like to spend money if I can do something myself. I am looking for a book or series of books, maybe even dvds that can teach me some things about carpentry. Like how high a standard shower head should be plummed for or how to install a tub or how to hang cabinets. Thanks for any help
    Try your public library. I get things there on the subjects you describe all the time.

J.C.

Comment

this is a search engine of thousands of used books,
      AddALL Used and Out of Print book search

many used books can be had for pennies on the dollar, if you know the title, also search the Internet, as Google has digitized many many books,
      about the only draw back of used books it there not "new" so some of the info may be a few years old, not bad, but may not show the latest procedures or ways,

on new products usually the manufactures have hand books on the use of there products,

watching the How to shows can help some times, Keep to the more quality ones who use real trades people
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

YOUTUBE.COM

Just type what you want to learn and I guarantee someone has made a video for it.

Comment

Don't believe everything you watch or read. Some of them books have procedures in them that nowadays are illegal or against code, and the idiots on you-tube probably are doing it wrong anyways. Just because it works when you are done, doesn't mean it was done right.. A good book for beginners are [brain fart]cant think of the name of the ones I have at home. Something along the lines of what Time-Life would publish, or Readers Digest.
          Amazon.com: Time-Life Books Complete Home Improvement and Renovation Manual (9780139218835): Time Life Books: Books

Amazon.com: Complete Fix-It-Yourself Manual (Time Life Books) (9780671765415): Time-Life Books: Books

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Amazon.com: New Fix-It-Yourself Manual: How to Repair, Clean, and Maintain Anything and Everything In and Around Your Home (9780895778710): Reader's Digest: Books

Big Book of Home How-To-9780696221804 at The Home Depot

Home Improvement 1-2-3 3rd Edition with DVD-0696238500 at The Home Depot

Wiring 1-2-3 Book 2nd Edition-0696222469 at The Home Depot

Plumbing 1-2-3 Book 2nd Edition-0696222477 at The Home Depot

The Complete Book of Woodworking-0980068878 at The Home Depot
          The older books talk about stuff that is obsolete, but sometimes will tell you stuff that you cant find in newer books because it is totally illegal, like a homemade septic system. Found that in one of my older Homeowner type books, a keeper for country living!

Another good source is textbooks on carpentry, plumbing, electricity, etc. I have a few of those sitting around as well, a good read.

I would start at the library. You find a book you like, buy one just like it online.
          Last edited by masterbeavis; 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
          X