X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing window sash pulleys

I'm replacing my old double hung windows with new insert windows. The project is easy enough with the exception of removing the sash pulleys. Sometimes they come out with a little pulling and a good yank or two. Other times it is a full on fight to get them out.

There are no screws on the pulleys, they seem to be held in place by a series of teeth. The picture does not show the metal tabs that trim the pulley (they were pulled off in the struggle).

Click image for larger version

Name:	e5627c45490042b627edda91bdcc25e2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	15369

Anyone have experience removing similar pulleys? I know that I can just beat them into the cavity, but want to use the opening to insulate the space where the weights are.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cjh20; 08-24-2011, 09:44 PM.

Re: Removing window sash pulleys

Do you have weight pocket doors on each side jamb held in place by a couple of screws? If removing the pulleys from the front is too much of a struggle, you can beat them into the pocket and retrieve them through the weight pocket doors. With the pocket doors removed you can insulate up through them and down from the pulley holes.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
      Do you have weight pocket doors on each side jamb held in place by a couple of screws? If removing the pulleys from the front is too much of a struggle, you can beat them into the pocket and retrieve them through the weight pocket doors. With the pocket doors removed you can insulate up through them and down from the pulley holes.
      No, it has a solid jamb.

Comment

Some of the pulleys come out with a fight, but they built things to last in those days. If they were to build/install those now a days, I'm sure you could just look at them funny and they would fall out.

TIP: when insulating the pocket, the end of a nice flexible fishing rod helps to push the insulation up/down.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Some of the pulleys come out with a fight, but they built things to last in those days. If they were to build/install those now a days, I'm sure you could just look at them funny and they would fall out.

TIP: when insulating the pocket, the end of a nice flexible fishing rod helps to push the insulation up/down.
          Agreed. After 100 years of holding sash weights and windows, these things don't want to go anywhere.

Great idea on using a fishing rod! That will save my dowel stock. Thanks.

Comment

FYI,

I drilled holes where the teeth are located and it was much easier to remove the pulley.

Comment

Working...
            X