X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For The Tile Guys

It's approved for showers and wet environments. Here the kicker, it takes 7 days to reach cure before exposure to water because of it's urethane base.

I would only use it on showers or counter tops, because it takes alot longer to grout with. You have to grout only about 5-10 square feet at a time to allow proper clean up. Also no haze with Trucolor, but it will leave a clear rough coat of quartz and urethane if not cleaned up in time. If you don't clean it in time the tile is toast. Once it cures it's there. It ain't coming off.
    Will Rogers Plumbing
    Moore, Oklahoma
    (
    405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
    http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

we used the epoxy grout in my Dad's foyer, cleanup was miserable, we ended up buffing the tile several times before the grout started to setup to get the haze off.

If I ever do a tile table or countertop That is the stuff i'm going to use.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I wouldn't use pre-mixed, just because regular cementuous grout is so cheap and easy that there doesn't seem to be an advantage. I like Laticrete 1500/1600 (sanded/unsanded), a little better than Custom Building Products, but both are pretty good. I have had some efflorescence on Custom with dark colors, no problem with Laticrete.

A step up would be the Laticrete Permacolor grout. More money, more stain resistance. Still have to seal it.

My current house is has tile floors throughout, for which I used Spectralock Pro epoxy grout. This stuff is great - no sealing ever. So, it makes sense to use it on porcelain that you never plan to seal, but not too much sense to use on stone or tile that you have to seal periodically anyway. It's expensive - a unit of epoxy base is $62 at my supplier, plus another $20 for the color powder... this got me ~110 square feet (13x13x3/8, with 3/16 grout line). Doing 2500 sq ft gets pricey. It's also quite a bit more work to install... the stuff takes more elbow grease to spread, but cleaning off the residue is tough WORK. And you have to get it clean in a hurry, once the epoxy kicks off you will have a problem. In short, expensive and a painful install... but top notch.

They make an epoxy for commercial floors called Latapoxy 2000 that is 100% solids and even more durable, but I've never used it. Probably costs a fortune.

Comment

Working...
        X