X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For The Tile Guys

Have you ever used this product? Good? Bad? Same?

TruColor Pre-Mixed Grout – All Brands at Bostik Provide High-Performance Adhesives, Sealants & More for Commercial & Residential Applications

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: For The Tile Guys

Crap, absolute crap IMHO. Nothing beats the real deal. Used the premixed crap once, never again, not even for a backsplash.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      Crap, absolute crap IMHO. Nothing beats the real deal. Used the premixed crap once, never again, not even for a backsplash.
      Did you use this premixed crap, or another type?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I tried it once didn't like it at all. Seemed it wasn't thoroughly mixed, and there were some color variations when I finished. I also think there might have been some reaction between the acrylic bonding agent and the mastic I used to put the tiles down.
        I use the dry mix, and add acrylic ad-mix to give the grout some flexibility. I can mix it thinner or thicker depending on the job size, temp, etc. to get a better finish.

Comment

I can't remember JC, it was 6 years ago.

Comment

My professional tile setters would never use a pre mixed product .
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              My professional tile setters would never use a pre mixed product .
              exactly. I made the mistake early on, never again. If you need a flexible grout, I question the substrate your tiling over. And as far as not having to seal it, not that big of an advantage, plus there is new grout types out there including epoxies that boast the same advantages and are a much better product.

Comment

exactly. I made the mistake early on, never again. If you need a flexible grout, I question the substrate your tiling over. And as far as not having to seal it, not that big of an advantage, plus there is new grout types out there including epoxies that boast the same advantages and are a much better product.
                Which ones are "good" grouts? Advantages & disadvantages of some different types?

Thanks for any information.

J.C.

Comment

I personally use TEC brand as well as custom building products brand. I have used the CBP Prism line of grout as well, its tough stuff but you have exactly 2 hours to work a batch, after that you have to toss it and mix a new batch. I haven't tried epoxy grout as my customers never want to pay the premium for it.

Comment

Is epoxy grout superior in areas like durability and low maintenance?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Is epoxy grout superior in areas like durability and low maintenance?

J.C.
                      Yes, its used almost exclusively on commercial jobs for that reason, highly stain resistant and superb durability. It doubles the cost of grout though, so many people opt not to use it.

Comment

Yes, its used almost exclusively on commercial jobs for that reason, highly stain resistant and superb durability. It doubles the cost of grout though, so many people opt not to use it.
                        Thanks. Seems like one would want to put in the best available for this part of it. I would.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          Thanks. Seems like one would want to put in the best available for this part of it. I would.

J.C.
                          JC, to be honest, most customers are for the most part just fine with a standard grout. Keeping it clean, sealing it every so often and filling in any cracks as soon as noticed will give them more years of life than the person probably will reside in that home. The biggest issue IMHO is the prep work. The substrate of any tile work is, IMO, the most important step of tile setting. You put tile over a poor base, and all you get is a poor tile job. i don't care what grout you use, if the sub-floor is not prepped correctly, its going to crack. In showers/tub surrounds, not taping the corners is a huge issue, and will lead to cracking and failure. I not only tape my corners, but put on 2-3 coats of TEC Hydraflex water proofing and cake it in the corners, then put a bead of 100% silicone in the corner before I tile just to be sure. Over kill, probably, but I do everything that way.

Now, kitchen counters and tile backsplashes, I found a way to reduce the cracking between the two surfaces. Its not perfect, but it has failed the least out of the couple different things I have tried over the years. Just somthing with a giant slab of stone up against a exterior wall that sees extremes in tempuratures that makes stuff move to much I guess. Anyway, grout will fail in between the top and wall everytime. obviously to can't tape and mud the two together, so I have resorted to caulking it. Before I grout the backsplash, I fill the void between the bottom row of tile and the counter top with color matched caulking. Only one time has this failed and the grout actually pulled apart and tore in half, so something moved A LOT and I am guessing that house had structual issues. With the color matched caulking, you can clean it up with a sponge and wipe it down just like grout, and to be honest, it probably the same stuff that is in that pail above that you asked us about.

Comment

You must have never used the stuff. TruColor aint your typical premix grout. It's not cement based, it's quartz and urethane. It's one of the best grouts on the market. 99.99 water proof, colot never fades or stains, never cracks, it's some good stuff. Expensive, but worth every penny. I used it exclusively on my custom shower installs when I was still running a tile company.
                            Will Rogers Plumbing
                            Moore, Oklahoma
                            (
                            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rogers Plumbing View Post
                              You must have never used the stuff. TruColor aint your typical premix grout. It's not cement based, it's quartz and urethane. It's one of the best grouts on the market. 99.99 water proof, colot never fades or stains, never cracks, it's some good stuff. Expensive, but worth every penny. I used it exclusively on my custom shower installs when I was still running a tile company.
                              Interesting, any pre-mixed grouts I have see say not to use on shower floors.

Comment

Working...
                              X