X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decking question

I built my first deck this year. Went to menards and used there computer to set the design and get supplies. I built the deck to the plans that menards sent me. I am real happy with everything except for the rail. all the rails are notched 4x4's with two lag bolt conecting it to the outside 2x8 joists. Now the front rails dont move at all however the sides move more than I like. Is there an easy fix for this?
    thanks.

Re: decking question

Originally posted by DIRKS View Post
    I built my first deck this year. Went to menards and used there computer to set the design and get supplies. I built the deck to the plans that menards sent me. I am real happy with everything except for the rail. all the rails are notched 4x4's with two lag bolt conecting it to the outside 2x8 joists. Now the front rails dont move at all however the sides move more than I like. Is there an easy fix for this?
    thanks.
    I can make a recomendation ,if I see a picture of the attachment detail You did. Post can't just attach to top of decking! I attach to frame with Galvy 1/2" machine bolts
    with large washers. Also Box post in with additional blocking!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Check out Simpson-Strongtie's website. I have used HD2A holdowns & the posts don't move at all..http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE09.pdf.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
        Check out Simpson-Strongtie's website. I have used HD2A holdowns & the posts don't move at all..http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE09.pdf.
        simpson has great hardware ,But Hd 2as are for 5/8"
        threaded rod into found. concrete ,attached to wood post w. machine bolts! It's for seismic
        hold downs. I have a yellow page add for seismic retros.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          simpson has great hardware ,But Hd 2as are for 5/8"
          threaded rod into found. concrete ,attached to wood post w. machine bolts! It's for seismic
          hold downs. I have a yellow page add for seismic retros.
          We put 2 per posts 1 top & 1 bottom. Takes twice as much force for the railing posts to fail. We also put them on the floor joists of the house to hold the deck to the house. Might be over kill, but that's way I do things.

Comment

I looked at the strongtie website and it looks like a pretty simple fix. wish I could fit under the deck so I wouldnt have to pull deck boards but oh well it needs done.

Comment

This is My my 49 th year as a carpenter. We did rock solid railings before Simpson was around!
              I lock in post bottoms with joist blocking in 2 directions. Simpson joist hangers are used also.

Comment

toolalholic, can you explain joist blocking a little bit better. I haven't been a carpenter ever. I know what joists are and joist havngers are, but i'm not sure what joist blocking in 2 directions is. thanks

Comment

Dirks here is a article on making the connections http://www.deckmagazine.com/pdf/2011/1105/1105code.pdf

Comment

Here is an article on the testing http://dickseibert.com/Woeste.pdf

Comment

Put blocking between the outside two joists. This will firm up the rail. This blocking is actually required by code in most municipalities. In my neck of the woods, notched 4x4's are a no no too, but as long as your inspector says it is fine, then that is what matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X