Wood Treatment Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Treatment Suggestions

I have a new utility trailer with a treated pine bed. In order to help it last as long as possible, I am considering treating with a water repellant. I know that Thompson's Water Seal is very heavily advertised, but that usually means it is more expensive than other similar products. Does anyone have any suggestions of a suitable product that I might wish to use. Appearance is not a major factor, but I do not want to use a coating with pigments. Thanks

Re: Wood Treatment Suggestions

Thompsons spends the most on advertising ,But, it has the least amount of solids! Coppernate is much better,I use it on fence post bottoms.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Used ATF! (or new if you don't have an abundant supply of used sitting around)

Its free, it lasts forever, repels water like nobody's business, super easy to apply and re-apply.

Enough said..

[edit] Not EPA or tree hugging F@#@@T approved[/edit]

In other words, it works too good to be true.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Boiled linseed oil or tung oil, easy to reapply as needed.

wookie

Comment

Follow-up - I went with the Thompsons, and was displeased to discover that it is now a water based formula. The previous Thompson's Water Seal that I had used was petrolium based and seemed to soak into the wood a lot better than the new. Only time will tell if the new is any good.

Comment

Pressure wash and re-apply every year. If not, when it fails, the wood will look terrible. The ATF is petroleum based, and works good!!
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
            X