Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Special Ordered Doors Problem - What's the deal with RO???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Ordered Doors Problem - What's the deal with RO???

I measured an exterior door at home. The door measures exactly 30 inches and the rough opening (measuring the size between 2x4's) is 33 inches.

I visited my local big store and ordered a Reliabilt door with a RO of 32.5 inches. The door arrived today and it was TINY. The slab was only 29 inches wide and the total frame was 31-31.5.

The door is VISIBLY tiny compared what I have. I brought it back to the store and the battle ensued. They brought out Jeld-Wen spec sheets that show Net Frame vs. RO. They told me that I have an old door called a "true 30" and it would cost me $900 to buy a replacement and my only option was what I bought.

The attitude when I went back was enough for me to return the doors. I don't want to spend a fortune on a new door. Any suggestions? Does what they said make sense?

Re: Special Ordered Doors Problem - What's the deal with RO???

a standard 30" exterior door should work find, just went to the HD web site and (and the price when I looked said $139)
    30 in. x 80 in. Steel White Pre-hung Right-Hand Inswing 6-Panel Entry Door-734655 at The Home Depot
    The JELD-WEN 30 in. x 80 in. Steel White Pre-hung Right-Hand Inswing 6-Panel Entry Door is constructed with a primed galvanized steel shell over a 1-piece polystyrene core. This Energy Star-qualified door will provide years of reliable service and is rust and corrosion resistant. The 2 coats of baked-on enamel primer make it easier to finish with your personal touch. The pre-hung unit comes mounted in a jamb with brickmold for streamlined installation

1-piece polystyrene core provides long-wearing insulation
    Galvanized steel is rust and corrosion resistant
    Comes with weatherstripping and adjustable sill to guard against the elements
    Classic 6-panel design for architectural interest
    2 coats of baked-on enamel primer for easier finishing with your paint or stain
    Requires 32-1/2 x 82-1/2 in. rough opening for secure fit
    Easy installation with included instructions
    Pre-hung door on jamb with brickmold comes with installation hardware
    Energy Star compliant, making this item eligible for a tax credit
    From outside, opens toward the inside of the home with the hinges on the right
    Note: Product may vary by store.
    MFG Brand Name : JELD-WEN
    MFG Model # : 734655
    MFG Part # : 734655
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thank you, but is the 30 inch door truly a 30 inch slab? The guy at Lowes told me they're actually 29.25 inches. It looks tiny. This is my whole problem.

Comment

The slabs on prehungs are a little smaller than the specs. It's the opening (not counting the door stop) that should be 30". Why is this a problem? If you need a door exactly 30", then a solid wood blank may be your most affordable option.

Comment

A doors width will measure different one side to the other if it was prepped properly at the shop. If your old door measures 30" on one side, but I bet a dollar that if you measure the other side it will measure 29.75". They cut a bevel on the strike side of the door so it will close and not hit the frame. Every door and window manufacturer measures their doors differently, you have to ask each and every time you order from a new manufacturer.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Working...
          X