X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement floor cracks

I have a new house and after moving in 2 weeks later I noticed 3 long cracks on the bsmt floor. They are stright and about 12' long and 1/16" wide and even. My guess would be that the drain pipes under the floor floated near the top when they poured the floor. Is this something I should let my builder know about? Should anything be done about it? Thanks

Re: Basement floor cracks

with out seeing them, and the lay out of them, they may have been control joints and trowled over, concrete will many times crack in about 10 foot grids, so normally a finisher puts in a control joint, with a jointer or saws it as soon as possible after setting, I have seen them put in and then troweled over, many places want the cut or the jointer go cut into the slab a 1/4 of it depth, and that normally assures the crack to follow the jointer cut,

now to say that is what it, is or not, or if it is a pipe in the concrete, I do not know, if there layed out evenly across the room about 10 foot spacing they may be control joints, if there haphazard then they are probably other, or running at angles.

the problem is, there is little one can do to "fix" a crack that is successful, it would not hurt to let the builder know of the situation, and document it just in case you do need some type of compensation on the floor. take some pictures with a time stamp on them, and even possibly mail a copy of the pictures to your self with a post mark on it, and do not open them up except for some one like a judge or lawyer, for time proof, that can testify of the opening, for time proof,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Read your contract and warranty papers. Sometimes cracks are covered in certain areas, but good luck properly fixing a crack. Cracks are a problem when installing certain kinds of floors, and when the concrete heaves leaving you with a tripping hazzard. My guess would be that your cracks are normal (planned maybe if equidistant) and need not be worried about. If they are a concern, you can have them ground out and epoxied. Honestly I would rather see a long small crack than a long large epoxied repair.

Keep this in mind. There are two types of concrete:
      Concrete that is cracked,
      and concrete that is GOING to crack!
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
        Keep this in mind. There are two types of concrete:
        Concrete that is cracked,
        and concrete that is GOING to crack!
        - You got that right!

Comment

If your going to finish the basement in anything other then carpet your going to need to install a Uncoupling membrane prior to installing your floor. One product I recomment is Schluters, Ditra xl:

Here is the link you can use in the future:

Schluter-DITRA-XL - Schluter-Systems

Comment

Working...
          X