No announcement yet.

Ash hardwood floor - nails or staples?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash hardwood floor - nails or staples?

Is there an advantage using nails instead of staples?

Re: Ash hardwood floor - nails or staples?

I think it is more of a FORD or CHEVY question many say that each do fine, it is more of a personal preference, or that is what I came to a conclusion.

I bought a nailer when I did my solid hard wood Oak floor, (my nailer is a manual unit, hit with a rubber mallet, no air, it is a Bostitch), Stanley Bostitch :* MFN200 *-* Manual Flooring Cleat Nailer Kit Mine was reconditioned, but with the oak you had to have a good arm, UP next the wall I found trim screws to be my friend, I did find that Pre dilling was needed, (when I could not get a good swing at it, (on fir flooring it was a breeze to use but on solid oak it was work), I went more for cost, http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond.../dp/B000T8TSME
    I put down about 600 square foot of flooring with it,

I know nails have been used for a lot of years, and have proven them selves, but I think under normal conditions (no flooding or other disasters) your staples will do fine as well, (at least any staple I have ever hand to pull out seemed to well fastened.

but on the flooring boards there appears to be a on going debate on which is better, nail/cleats or staples, (kinda like the plumbers on here with the drums and sectionals),
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Glue... I don't think I will install a wood floor any other way. I have done a few with glue, won't go back to nailing down. Make sure you use the right glue and not the cheap crap either. Low-VOC glue sucks from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        Glue... I don't think I will install a wood floor any other way. I have done a few with glue, won't go back to nailing down. Make sure you use the right glue and not the cheap crap either. Low-VOC glue sucks from my experience.
        Works great until you want to take it up. We had to remove 750 sqf. of harwood glue down to a concrete floor. It took 5 men 2 days to clean up that mess. It would have been longer, but who ever put it down started to run out of glue & cheated on the amount of glue they used so they could finish the job.

Comment

Working...
        X