Asbestos containing materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos containing materials

To those of you doing residential renos...

How do you address the potential issue of "asbestos containing materials" in pre 1990 homes?
    "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Re: Asbestos containing materials

Wet everything down Where Ă* north sheild full face asbestos respirator and shower well after any work....or hire illegals.. Jjk to be honest just research thĂ© products that contain asbestos and be cautious . Or phone Mike Holmes.

Comment

Rule #1. Don't get caught! [edit because I contradicted myself]Asbestos abatement without Proper training, permits, and proper removal Proceducost will cost you time in jail and alot of money if you get caught. I was under the impression thAt asbestos was banned back in the late 70's here in the states. IDK about comp shingles, but there is not a problem with that product unless it was burned. Do your homework, find out the rules in your area before you open a can of worms.
      Last edited by masterbeavis; 01-21-2012, 11:41 AM.
      We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Just because it was banned at a certain year, doesn't mean the suppliers destroyed their existing inventory and started new.

Comment

I Agree, that it certainly the case in the late 70's and early 80's, but a house built in the 90's the asbestos thought would never cross my mind regardIng worrying about abatement.

Comment

The reason I ask this question is because in the last month I've had two RFQ's from clients wanting me to tear out their sunshine / textured ceilings, install pot lights then re-sheet and texture. Both homes were built in the 70's. One HO had the ceiling tested and it was confirmed to contain 3% chrysotile. 3 to 8% by weight was commonplace in drywall and texture compound in the '60's & '70's til asbestos was banned in '78. My understanding is that existing inventories at the time of the ban were excluded from the ban and allowed to work their way through the supply chain. Think I still have a pallet or two kicking around somewhere. Anyone want a good deal? JK.

So, back to my prospective clients. Before we start anything they need to cough up an additional $2,500 to $3,000 for an asbestos abatement outfit to come in and do their thing. That was the end of the first new prospect. They just called a sheetrock guy to come in and cover over the asbestos containing texture with a 1/2" of new drywall. Trouble is, the poor electricians that come in to hack in their new pot lights are going to be unwittingly hacking into asbestos! Hmnn, if you ever come across two layers of drywall...

For the second prospect, the HO has decided to hang up some poly, put on a respirator and tear the ceiling out themselves then bring me in once the mess is cleaned up to hang new board and go from there. They don't seem to think it's that big a deal. Hmnn???

You know, when I was a kid I used to play up in the attic of the house I grew up in that was built in the early 60's. You guessed it, full of vermiculite. I also used to work for a transmission shop about 30 years or so ago changing out burnt clutches which dropped this wonderful gray powder all over the place when you pulled them apart. Yikes! So far, so good, no signs or symptoms of mesothelioma.

Think I'll re-jig my business plan and put a stronger focus on post 80's buildings.

Comment

When *cough* a friend of mine *wink wink* would remove popcorn, he would tape plastic to the sides of the walls and floor, bring in a garden hose and soak the crap out of the popcorn. Once soaked thru, scrape an entire room in like 5 minutes, pull the plasitc off the walls, roll it up into a giant bundle, and illegally dispose of it at the dump. If it had been painted, well, he would try to avoid those jobs...

Comment

Sounds like a friend of yours doesn't have a clue.

Hanging poly doesn't prevent contamination of the whole house.

A proper abatement outfit would put their air tight enclosure under negative air pressure, use HEPA vacuums, water, and double 6mil bags for the waste.

Oh and did I mention that they would shower out and not wear street clothes under their hazmat suits when working overhead...?

Comment

GREAT INFO FOR YOU!Get jan/2012 JLC " THE JOURNAL OF LIGHT CONSTRUCTION " Pg.#51 RRP COMPLIANCE FOR SMALL JOBS
                  "You can work safely and still complete with un certified re modelers by understanding the rule. By Dean Lovvorn.
                  I have a subscription, I believe You can find this at Barns and Noble. It is very informative. Good Luck Tool. PS This is a great Mag.
                  Son and I have been getting it for Years
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                    Sounds like a friend of yours doesn't have a clue.

Hanging poly doesn't prevent contamination of the whole house.

A proper abatement outfit would put their air tight enclosure under negative air pressure, use HEPA vacuums, water, and double 6mil bags for the waste.

Oh and did I mention that they would shower out and not wear street clothes under their hazmat suits when working overhead...?
                    I've spoken with three or four different abatement outfits over the last couple of years and they all described the same approach along the lines of what you've outlined. All of them mentioned that they have to submit a written safe work procedure to WorkSafeBC and be prepared for an inspection by a safety officer as well as bring in a third party hygienist to monitor air quality during the abatement. One fellow took the time to give me a cost breakdown and the hygienist works out to a large percentage of the aggregate cost.

FYI, mould abatement is handled pretty much the same way. The nice thing about mould (if there can be a nice thing), is that at least you can see it!

Check out the following for a quick reference regarding potential sources of asbestos in older homes:

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/__shared...6.pdf?method=1

Comment

Oh how we are so similar yet so many miles away. We get beaten around the head by our Worksafe organisation and yet when we hand them a plum collar they are "too busy" and who are we to think we know anything anyway. I have a client who is medical and yet they, should I say their association, are ignoring the issue based on what??????????????
                      Sorry i forgot to mention COST. so they scream that we should do things right but do it for nothing when we work for them, i definitely dont think so. Mind you we get the hacks everyday who fly by night, take the cash and run. We have a large New australian issue especially when it comes to this stuff. yes the Illegals are good for cost savings. downside they set precedents

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                        I've spoken with three or four different abatement outfits over the last couple of years and they all described the same approach along the lines of what you've outlined. All of them mentioned that they have to submit a written safe work procedure to WorkSafeBC and be prepared for an inspection by a safety officer as well as bring in a third party hygienist to monitor air quality during the abatement. One fellow took the time to give me a cost breakdown and the hygienist works out to a large percentage of the aggregate cost.

FYI, mould abatement is handled pretty much the same way. The nice thing about mould (if there can be a nice thing), is that at least you can see it!

Check out the following for a quick reference regarding potential sources of asbestos in older homes:

http://www.portcoquitlam.ca/__shared...6.pdf?method=1
                        That is correct, the other thing about mould is that it's not classified as a "dangerous good" as far as the Ministry of Transportation is concerned.

One other thing to note, the type of work I outlined is considered "High Risk" removal here in BC. Risk assessments consider the friability of the material, which is crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
                          To those of you doing residential renos...

How do you address the potential issue of "asbestos containing materials" in pre 1990 homes?
                          In Calif. You don't. The fine is $10,000.00 for each infraction, potential loss of your contractors license, (if you have one) and potential jail time.

Oh, and you got to love our new lead paint law that just went into effect: Just equate the following to an emergency leak in a wall.

SACRAMENTO -The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) is reminding licensees that starting today, April 22, 2010, contractors could face fines of up to $37,500 for not complying with federal regulations aimed at protecting them and consumers from exposure to dust from lead-based paints.
                          Contractors conducting renovation or demolition activities in buildings constructed in or before 1978 must receive training from a U.S. EPA-accredited training provider. Contractors or their employees with lead-safety certification from the California Department of Public Health (DPH) may take a four-hour U.S. EPA-accredited course to achieve federal compliance.
                          At least one person in a firm must be trained and certified in renovation. That firm must then apply to U.S. EPA for firm certification. Certification forms and information on accredited training providers is available at www.epa.gov/lead, or call 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).
                          The cost for certification is $300, and it is valid for five years. Training costs vary by provider.
                          The requirements apply to all contractors who disturb lead-based paint in a six-square- foot area or greater indoors, and a 20-square-foot area outdoors. If a DPH-certified inspector or risk assessor determines that a home constructed before 1978 is lead-free, the federal certification is not required for anyone working on that particular building.
                          Consumers can check whether their licensed contractor has the proper federal lead certification online. A link is available on CSLB’s website

( Its good to be a Californian)

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                            In Calif. You don't. The fine is $10,000.00 for each infraction, potential loss of your contractors license, (if you have one) and potential jail time.
                            I'm all for it! Talk about a great way to screen the hacks out of the picture.

Check this out...this guy is unbelieveable!

B.C. asbestos contractor jailed for 'indifference' to worker safety

Not sure how long the link will be valid - was on BCTV 6:00 news tonight.

Comment

Hello,

You will want to contact a haz mat (hazardous material)testing company to do a site visit and take samples for laboratory testing. Ifasbestos or other hazardous material is found, you will need to employ theservices of a certified haz mat removal company. We are currently doing a fullrenovation of a heritage B home where we encountered various materialscontaining asbestos.

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X